Outback front struts leaking after 12k miles

OK, I haven't been too gentle with this car, and perhaps 10% of my driving has been on gravel roads. But I've tried not to push it too far, and it has bottomed-out no more than 5-10 times. I think I took my '82 Omni on rougher roads.

So I was a bit surprised today to see "wet" spots on both front struts, after 12300 miles.

I don't see camplaints about leaking struts on 2003 Legacy Outback wagons, so I assume I must be doing something really wrong.

What?

Reply to
H.W. Stockman

Seems odd to me also. I don't think the few miles you have driven on gravel roads caused this condition. I onder if something other than the struts is causing the "wet spots."

Reply to
johninKY

I had a front strut go on my 04 OBW too. Replaced under extended warranty. I was very disappointed. One would think the suspension on the outback was heavy duty. I wonder what else they skimped on.

Reply to
bigjim

And after all, it is called an "Outback."

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It ain't invincible!

Ron

Reply to
Freedom55

OK, is there any obvious option for putting in heavy-duty struts? I see only options for _lowering_ the vehicle, which I surely don't want to do.

Reply to
H.W. Stockman