Outback Hood Protector

Hello, I just purchased my very first Subaru. It's an Outback 2.5 XT. I love it so far and I was thinking about getting the acrylic hood protector for it. I thought it might help protect the hood especially this winter. I saw one mounted at the dealer and noticed that there are rubber-like cushions touching the hood to help support it. I was wondering if these cushions wear into the paint over time and kind of defeat the purpose of the hood protector. Does anyone have any experience using this hood deflector? Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Reply to
Passman

I just got my installed. Tried doing it myself, but after I installed hood would not close (cuz little plastic nut did not fit exactly), so dealer installed it for me.

The hood protector comes with 3M little clear see-though patches which are placed under little cushions, so they don't wear the paint.

Reply to
LB

Works great and is very easy to install. The rubber cushions are soft but Subaru includes clear protection strips (tape). I havent noticed paint wear in 8 months / 30000 miles. Looks great on OBW. John

Reply to
busterb

I had mine on for 2 years straight without a problem. Didn't scratch or dent the paint at all. Be careful on the Forrester (for those Forrester owners) as a coworker had one and the rubber bumpers actually dented the hood and rubbed the paint off in several areas. Not a problem on the wagon or sedan though. It's pretty easy to clean behind and up until last week it was great then by freak chance the air dryer at the automatic car wash blew it off. I've been through that car wash a dozen times and never had a problem.

Reply to
null

Thanks for all the information. I'll be ordering one this weekend.

Mike

Reply to
Passman