Outback Mileage with Goodyear TripleTred

My 2003 Outback Wagon will be needing new tires sometime this summer. Reading the reviews at Tirerack.com and other places seem to indicate that Goodyear TripleTred tires could be a good choice. A couple of reviews reported significantly reduced gas mileage when these tires were used. Does anyone here have any experience to confirm or refute these claims?

George

Reply to
George Schroeder

I bought some tires for my 2001 OB at Sam's club. Bridgestones, for $62 or so each. Tires aren't going to kill your gas mileage. So long as they are radials.. and that's all you can find.

Reading the reviews at

tires could be a good

when these tires were

Reply to
M. Butkus

Don't have the TripleTred but do have the same-family Goodyear Assurance on my wife's Volvo. Haven't noticed any particular drop in mileage.

I have my eye on the TripleTred, also, for replacing the OEM Yokohamas on my XT.

HW

Reply to
Hal Whelply

Reply to
Paul Harding

Yes - gas mileage can drop (or increase). The rolling resistance of a particular tire can have a significant impact on mileage.

For what its worth (I have a Forester), and just put the Triple treads on about a month ago. They are excellent and highly recommend them for anyone who needs an all weather tire w/o sacrificing in performance to much. The 80,000 mile warranty is especially nice too.

I haven't noticed any drop in mileage, and they are quieter than the stock Geolanders that came on the car.

Reply to
Dom

This is an awesome tire!

I put set on a 97 Subaru Outback and have over 8,000 miles on them. There was no change to my gas mileage. What I did notice was with my old tires, I had to turn up the stereo once I got on the freeway. I don't even touch the dial now. You will not believe how quiet these tires are. I used to think the reason I felt every crack in a road was the Outback's stiffer suspension. The difference with these tires is incredible. I took a tight circle freeway offramp with a 20 mph speed limit at 40 mph and the car took the turn better than going 20 mph with the old tires. Where I used to get a side lean in a corner, these tires hold solid and make cornering effortless. They are also incredible in heavy rain. I just got back from taking them up to mountains. While I was there I got to try the tires in snow, ice and combo of slush and ice.

These tires have exceeded my expectations!

Reply to
Dan Jensen

Your car doesn't lean to one side any more when taking a corner? How could the tires have anything to do with that?

Reply to
John Rethorst

Thanks to all who have responded. Looks like I have found the tires that will be on my Outback soon.

George

Reply to
George Schroeder

I'm seeing some amazing reviews of this tire here in this newsgroup. It must be pretty darned good to justify the price. Tirerack.com is selling it for $91 each at the 205/60R15 size. That's far more than I've ever paid. But maybe I will buy them when I'm in the market, which might not be for another year.

Reply to
Tom Reingold

===================== I had no intention of spending that much on tires, but after reading the specs, ratings, and reviews, I'm sold! My baby gets new shoes this week.

Rick

rick

On my 97 Legacy Wagon I seem to have lost about 2 mph, or nearly

10%, based on about 5 months experience. Love the tires though.

Jim

the reviews at

could be a good

these tires were