Outback replacement tires

I posted this earlier and only got one or two replies. Anyone else have some good input? Has anyone replaced tires on an Outback recently? Seeking experiences and

advice. Yokohama Avid 4S looks like a good tire, but I';d like to know how > they handle in terms of cornering and wet weather. In Winter I run snow > tires. > Thanks in advance.... > Mark
Reply to
Mark Bergman

I have a 1997 Subaru Outback and I just replaced the original Michelin XW4 tires that had 110,000 miles on them. I did not go with the same tires because I did not feel they handled well in the snow and ice. After getting the new tires, I came to realize that the XW4 tires were bad all around and noisy.

I went looking and researching for a tire that would really deliver on it all, such as dry and wet braking and handling, winter driving/traction and a quiet ride. Some leading recommendations were Michelin HydroEdge, Toyo Spectrum, Goodyear Triple Tread and BigO Euro Tour. I came close to getting the Michelin HydroEdge, but the reviews were just too mixed. I read the design and logic behind the Goodyear Triple Tread and talked to a number of tire shops. When I told different tires shops what I was looking for, they kept recommending this tire. Finally, I talked to a person at one tire shop that got a chance to demo them and loved them. I decided to take the risk and be one of the first to give the tire a try. I have put

1,000 miles on them and can sum them up in one word: WOW! What a difference. With my old tires, I had to turn up the stereo once I got on the freeway. I don't even touch the dial now. You will not believe how quiet these tires are. I used to think the reason I felt every crack in a road was the Outback's stiffer suspension. The difference with these tires is incredible. I took a tight circle freeway offramp with a 20 mph speed limit at 40 mph and the car took the turn better than going 20 mph with the old tires. Where I used to get a side lean in a corner, these tires hold solid and make cornering effortless. I was driving yesterday down the freeway going from dry road to heavy spring showers and could feel no difference - and the traction was solid. I have not had a chance to try them in the snow and ice yet, but their design and center strip logic seems sound.

Here is a cool website about them...

Good site for all a number of tire reviews...
Hope this helps!

Reply to
InfoQuest

Have you checked

and read the reviews? My Avids on my 98 OB wore out quickly and were not particularly great handlers. My Kumho's are lasting better then the Yokohama's on my 02 Impreza but are developing a "tire pull" since about 30k. The OE Bridgestone's on my 04 OB are wearing quickly but handle good. The Michelins that came OE on my 98 and 96 OB's wore slowly, rode comfortably and handled nice. The replacement Michelins on my 98 were Symmetry's and felt squirmy but I only had 15k on them when I got rid of the car so I have no miles of wear guess.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Anthony Giordano

I'm absolutely thrilled with the Kuhmo tires I recently got for my vehicle. They're great wet, and very very very smooth dry. And not very expensive either. Do a groups.google.com search for my post about a month ago onthe topic.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

the nasioc.com forums have some good posts regarding GreenDiamondTires... tires with industrial diamonds embedded in the tread

I'm absolutely thrilled with the Kuhmo tires I recently got for my vehicle. They're great wet, and very very very smooth dry. And not very expensive either. Do a groups.google.com search for my post about a month ago onthe topic.

-- Todd H.

R Gostenik

Save your money and go to pep boys good tires and good warranty or if you can go to Costco and buy a set of Michellins. I have a 1999 OB 117,000 miles and running on Pep Boys Shoes, very good traction and breaking, excellent when wet. My wife has a 2000 OB running on michellins shoes from Costco, excellent tyres at a good price as for warranty, the best.

Reply to
<ros_ada