Outback RPM at 70mph

Dear Fellow Subaru Enthusiest Hi, Recently I purchased a 2004 Subaru outback and it seems the crusing RPM is high in comparison to other cars I have owned. My car's RPM at 70mph in 5th gear is around 3200. Is this rpm normal? Does anyone know about average RPM vs Speed and Gears?

Thank you Amir

Reply to
univars

It would all depend on the gearing in the different models but that figure is in the ballpark.

At 3000RPM in 5th I'm doing around 65 MPH.

Reply to
Bugalugs

Here are RPM at 80MPH (this is my cruising speed so why I remember it):

2002 Impreza 2.5 TS 4 speed AT: 3250 2002 Outback 2.5 5MT @ 5: 3750

some other cars with AT I saw were indicating about 3000 RPM

Honda Civic 5MT @ 5: 3500 Honda Accord I4 5MT @ 5: 3000 (but not sure)

I never understood why they geared Outback that high.

Andy

Reply to
alf

Sounds about right.

Reply to
David

Sounds about right.

As to why it's geared like that, the answer is probably the anemic horsepower of the 4cyl?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Nah, my '71 XKE runs 3000RPM at 70MPH.

Al

Reply to
Al

Todd: I think you right. I have noticed while the engine is pretty quiet, in low gears the RPM does go up pretty high, need to shift gears. The 5th however does seem to have a pretty good range of speed

45-70mph. I think this begins to explain the warning I got from father about making sure the fluids are always in spec. A high turning engine is more suseptable to overheating.... Thank you Amir
Reply to
univars

I've had my MY08 Outback for a month, and at 110 km/hr it goes at 2500rpm. Its a 2.5i Premium auto. I thinks about 65-70 mph.

GJ

Reply to
GJ