Outback Sedan ... truck?

According to the New York Times, Subaru is making some minor modifications to the 2004 Outback design so that is can be classified as a light truck:

(Free account needed to read NYT articles) As the article states:

"Why? Largely to avoid tougher fuel economy and air pollution standards for cars."

What kind of changes -

"There are different ways to make a car meet the federal definition of a light truck, including making the rear seats removable to give a wagon a flat loading floor or raising a vehicle's ground clearance to at least

20 centimeters, or a little less than 8 inches. Subaru will raise the Outback's height from a minimum of 7.3 inches to as much as 8.7 inches next year, and will make other adjustments, like altering the position of the rear bumper, to meet light truck specifications."

One thing I wish my 2002 Outback Sedan had was fold down rear seats. The center pass-through covers most situations, but every once in a while I wish I had a bigger trunk.

Doing the redesign is not a unique idea, as the NYT also points out that the PT Cruiser is also a "crossover" truck/car.

But does this mean I'll have to get a gun rack for my 2002?

kl

2002 Outback Sedan VDC
Reply to
kl