Outback Shift Console Light Replacement

I own a 1997 Subaru Outback. Recently, the light that illuminates the shift console gears between the seats has started to go out. Unfortunately there is no gear display in the dash board for this year and model. If you tap the gear display cover, the light comes back on. It is only a matter of time before the light goes out. The dealership wants $80 to replace the bulb.

Has anyone replaced theirs that could give me directions on the quickest way to get to it or how (in which order) to take the center island apart?