Outback sounds like a diesel

My 99 outback with 120k miles has, for the last 50k or so, sounded like a diesel. My mechanic said he was pretty sure it was the shims in the cylindars (I may be getting this wrong now) and that to fix it was a lot of work and results far from guaranteed. He says no damage is being done and I can live with the noise, but it is irritating and anyone riding in my car tends to wonder what is going on.

Any ideas what to do?

Reply to
ploutos

Edward Hayes

You might try running on premium fuel for a while, perhaps three tanksfull, and see if that helps (reduces engine "knock").

Marc Sindell Twin City Subaru Sales Montpelier Vermont

Reply to
marcus153

It often, though not always, does go away after it is warned up. What does piston slap mean?

Reply to
ploutos

Reply to
Edward Hayes

If it goes away after the engine warms up. it is DEFINITELY not fuel related preignition knock. IOW, running premium fuel won't help.

Reply to
l.lichtman

"ploutos" wrote in news:1129702487.805618.322970 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I had a similar noise that went away when the car warmed up. Turned out to be the belt tensioner. Fixed under warranty '03 Impreza TS.

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

If the engine continues running, it's NOT preignition, period.

Reply to
CompUser

Don't fight it man, just go with it. Driving a diesel car puts you in class above those in mere petrol autos. Just ask anyone from Birmingham, Michigan. :^) -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell