outback strut quotes - and a question

First the question:

On the front struts of the 2001 Outback 4-cyl wagon, are there aftermarket strut mounts available? Monroe's website shows struts and the bearing plate, but nothing in their pics that looks like a replacement for the rubber thingee I see at the top of the strut towers? Anyone know the story on this? Are mounts = bearing plates?

This did explain why non-Subaru shops keep wanting to quote me parts prices for the strut and plate though.

I've gotten a variety of quotes all over the map Midas $470+tax for 4 monroe sensitrack struts + $400 for 4 bearing plates + $80 4-wheel align. This supposedly includes installation, but comparing to others seems eerily low?

CarX $858 for front struts and mounts (Monroe) w/ labor $664 for rear. $150 rebate if all 4 done from Monroe

Subaru $600 in labor alone for front struts only including 4-wheel alignment. $403 in parts for the front only ($125 strut + 76 for the mount). $266 in parts for the rear. Labor I didn't ask about. They said generally the fronts go before the rear. Subaru parts guy says the bearing plate rarely get replaced just the "mount" so I'm left without a good picture of exactly what the heck needs to be replace.

Napa autoparts couldn't even find a price on the struts.

Advance showed parts $118/ea for front struts. $89/ea for rear struts parts only.

Thanks for any insight.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Hmm, one possibility would be to use a local mech., but buy Subaru mounts. (KYB aftermarket struts would be fine - they make the OEM ones IIRC) price the mounts at

. If you need help with finding the right parts, email Jamie thru the site or contact her at
. You might even be able to attach a pic to an email to her if you feel there is confusion on the part in question. I THINK it is just a rubber plug over the top bearing nut. Sometimes your local dealership will match (or get close) prices with online dealers.

no financial connection blah blah, just good experience buying 2-3 times.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Pay the extra money for the KYB struts. Far superior to the Monroe stuff. Just reuse the original top mounts.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Or is this better left to a shop with spring compressers and the right tools ? A shop said the top mounts may be bad are they usually reuseable ?

2000 OUTBACK

Reply to
tropical
+AD4 First the question: +AD4 +AD4 On the front struts of the 2001 Outback 4-cyl wagon, are there +AD4 aftermarket strut mounts available? Monroe's website shows struts and +AD4 the bearing plate, but nothing in their pics that looks like a +AD4 replacement for the rubber thingee I see at the top of the strut towers? +AD4 Anyone know the story on this? Are mounts +AD0 bearing plates? +AD4 +AD4 This did explain why non-Subaru shops keep wanting to quote me parts +AD4 prices for the strut and plate though. +AD4 +AD4 +AD4 I've gotten a variety of quotes all over the map +AD4 Midas +ACQ-470+-tax for 4 monroe sensitrack struts +- +ACQ-400 for 4 bearing +AD4 plates +- +ACQ-80 4-wheel align. This supposedly includes installation, +AD4 but comparing to others seems eerily low? +AD4 +AD4 CarX +ACQ-858 for front struts and mounts (Monroe) w/ labor +AD4 +ACQ-664 for rear. +ACQ-150 rebate if all 4 done from Monroe +AD4 +AD4 Subaru +ACQ-600 in labor alone for front struts only including 4-wheel +AD4 alignment. +ACQ-403 in parts for the front only (+ACQ-125 strut +- 76 for +AD4 the mount). +ACQ-266 in parts for the rear. Labor I didn't ask about. +AD4 They said generally the fronts go before the rear. Subaru parts +AD4 guy says the bearing plate rarely get replaced just the +ACI-mount+ACI so +AD4 I'm left without a good picture of exactly what the heck needs to +AD4 be replace. +AD4 +AD4 Napa autoparts couldn't even find a price on the struts. +AD4 +AD4 Advance showed parts +ACQ-118/ea for front struts. +ACQ-89/ea for rear +AD4 struts parts only. +AD4 +AD4 Thanks for any insight. +AD4 +AD4 Best Regards,

Wow+ACEAIQ I must be incredibly out of touch with both labor and the difficulty of this job+ACEAIQ +ACQ-600 to pull two items and reinstall? This must be a much more complicated job than it would appear. Is it because they're struts rather than shocks?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Landry

It can be a DIY job with enough tools. I've done it probably half a dozen times over the years and must say it is not a fun undertaking. Compressing the coil springs has always been a pita for me. Have yet to replace a top mount. My wagon has 200k miles on it with the original mounts. I see you have a 2000 model. Another option would be to just buy used complete assemblies. Not sure but suspect your 2000 model and anything up to the 2008 model uses the exact same suspension parts. If true then find a wrecked newer model with very little miles and go that route.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Good post. An option migh be to pull the struts and take them and the new struts to a shop to have the springs compressed. Then take the new units back and install them yourself - kinda cherry-picking the DIY stuff you're comfortable with.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

that is a great idea ! like the old days of getting a ball joint pressed in

Tony

Reply to
tropical

When taking them apart would the spring need to be compressed to remove it or are they compressed on the strut itself as a unit ?

Tony 2000 florida outback

Reply to
tropical

I'm not sure if it's also the case with 2d gen Outback, but when I looked for aftermarket struts for my 1st gen Outback, several websites listed aftermarket alternatives to OEM, but upon further inquiry, all of the aftermarket brands significantly reduced ride height. Only OEM struts provided the same ride height. If I recall, OEMs were about $950 parts and labor. The dealer recommended replacing the fronts if I did anything.

Reply to
lkreh

The Outback and Legacy do not use the same struts. Outback struts installed under a Legacy will raise the suspension and going the other way will lower it. And the coil spring needs to be slightly compressed when removing it from the strut.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

One of the little problems with my 97 legacy wagon (which needs new stuts, I'm told) is that it rides too low. What other effects could I expect if I were to put Outback struts into my Legacy? Is this at all advisable?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Avery