Outback Tire Size

The OEM spec for my 98 OBL is 205/70-15. Would it cause problems to substitute 215/70-15?

I am buying a set of Goodyear Tripletreads. According to the dealer's website, the diameter of the 205 tire is 26.3" and the diameter of the 215 is 26.9".

I absolutely don't want to have problems with these, but wonder if the .6" extra diameter might work. It would certainly help traction to have the slightly wider rubber.

Thanks.

Reply to
BobN

To keep the tire diameter and revs per mile similar when increasing tire width, one normally goes down in aspect ration. So, have you looked into 215/65-15's? You can compare sizes at

Ed P

Reply to
ep6757

According to tirerack, stock-size 205/70TR15 Triple Treads have a revs per mile of 793. The 215/65TR15 come in at 803, causing your speedo to read 1.26% faster. The 215/70TR15 come in at 777 revs/mile, so speedo would run 2% slower.

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P

Reply to
Tcassette

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:27:27 GMT, "Tcassette" wrote in news:OxAFe.990$mu6.826@okepread04:

Assuming tires on a particular vehicle are at the same inflation pressure, the weight per square inch is the same regardless of the size of tire. Putting on a wider tire just makes the contact patch wider and not as deep front to back. Lack of traction on a wider tire comes from a tendency to ride over water, snow, or ice, rather than cut through it.

Reply to
Dave Morrison