Outback Trunk Latch

i'm having an issue with my trunk latch on my outback. i took off the door panel and used the safety switch to get it to unhook, lubed it up with some WD-40 but it wont seem to work. if i close the door and lock it, it will stay in locked position until i use the safety again to open it. if it is unlocked the door will shut but the latch that hooks into that little ring on the bottom won't connect.

any suggestions are welcome, especially if it will save me the time/energy/money of having to take it to someone.

Reply to
kb

If you think it needs lubrication, avoid WD-40. It is a better solvent and 'water displacer' than lubricant. A good car parts store will have the proper lubricant for a latch and, if you visit when they are not busy, perhaps the counterman can take a quick look and offer additional advice.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

To elaborate, WD-40 can be washed out with brake cleaner when it is fresh. After a few years nothing will wash out the gum that remains.

Mike (the voice of sad experience)

Reply to
Michael Pardee