Outback XT vs 2.5i Fuel Economy

Hi all-

I'm thinking of buying a new Outback, and am leaning towards the XT, but am a little hesitant because of concerns about the decreased fuel economy as compared to the standard 2.5 engine.

Any info regarding the mileage per gallon of either engine would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Reply to
dsivam

Well the 2.5XT is going to be also drinking premium fuel. If you are concerned I would suggest going with the 2.5i instead. I believe the purchase price will be cheaper and the fact that you can run regular fuel will save you money as well as the fuel savings over driving a turbo. I am sure the 2.5 XT will be a lot of fun but if you are just using it for a grocery getter I would stick with the non turbo model.

Reply to
MD

The last time I calculated the cost difference it was $2.93 per week. That is for me and the miles I drive. I compared a Forester XS vs. an XT. Considering a pack of smokes or 3 cans of soda ( $3 ) is what I needed to give up to maintain my budget. Your choice, so pick the one you'll be happier with.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I have an XT Forester (2005 USA) and love having the power available when I need it. It's great to be able to pass on long, steep uphill grades traveling through the mountain passes and not be logged back behind the slow cars or trucks. I live in the desert SW and travel into the Sierras frequently. The problem is, I push the turbo more often than is needed, and the mileage suffers, especially with the price of gas, but for the couple of dollars a week extra it costs, it's worth it to have a fun car to drive (especially one that doesn't look like it's as fast as it is ;-)

Reply to
QX