Overheated Engine - Cause?

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback. Trying to determine if recent accident or Subaru dealership at fault for engine overheat which is resulting in having to get engine replaced.

Last Friday, Check Engine light came on. Took to Subaru dealer before heading out on 600-mile road trip after Christmas to fix and ensure car safe to drive. Also to check oil leak that had occured after a car smashed into my right front bumper in November.

Subaru tech said check engine light was PO483, that engine cooling fans were not connected and reconnected fans. First of all, how would cooling fans not be connected? Could that be the fault of the collison company not re-connecting them after doing work post-accident?

Secondly, on trip the car made it one-way, then overheated while climbing Cajon Pass in CA. We took to Victorville garage and they determined it was a thermostat problem, replace the thermostat, coolant and sent us on our way.

We did fine for 150 miles until we started to climb up another big hill. I gunned the engine to keep up speed and it immediately went to H. We pulled over and the radiator had spewed coolant, engine was steaming. We called a tow truck and had it towed home 80 miles.

Subaru dealership -- same one that diagnosed PO483 -- said we had a hairline crack in engine due to overheating and engine would need to be replaced.

Can anyone help me figure out:

1) Could the Subaru dealership misdiagnosed the PO483 and be responsible for the overheat 2) What would cause the engine coolant fans to be disconnected? Does that happen spontaneously or would it be a human error? 3) How long would the engine need to run w/o the coolant fans connected to cause an engine problem?

THANK YOU for any input you can give.

Reply to
3Behrs

In cold ( cool) weather cooling fans do not engage - the do sometimes when you turn the heater on but it doesn't affect the coolant temp. It is possible that collision shop failed to reconnect your fans after body repair was done- but, as said above- it should not cause your engine overheating during winter monts ( even in CA). "Cracked block or head" is likely correct diagnosis and it was caused by engine overheating. In my opinion overheating was a manifestation of failed HG, which is quite common for 2.5 l DOHC horizontal four Subie engines.

Reply to
daszkiew2000

Thanks for your reply. I take it from your message that "Cracked block or head" is another listed diagnosis for message PO483? Also, what causes a blown head gasket? The pre-trip inspection also indicated that there were leaks at the valve cover gaskets. Could these be related?

Reply to
3Behrs

If the collision caused, or the repair required, opening the coolant system, it's quite likely the car was returned to you improperly filled with new coolant. I believe this year should also have a Subaru coolant additive which may not have been re-installed. Most soobs (and some other cars) require complex filling procedures to avoid trapping air in the coolant system. Coupled with the unplugged cooling fans ,etc. may have led to a localized overheating problem which breached the head gasket. These issues have been reported before. you clould search past postings here, or search the forums over at

. Likely this started at the collision and its repair. I dunno.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Most likely way fans were disconnected would be if they were disconected during the collision repair and not reconnected. If shop was not familiar with Subarus I would also suspect they didn't follow the proper proceedure for filling the cooling system and that resulted in trapped air which could easily lead to over heating.

If you are now looking at a big bill for repair, I wouldn't overlook letting the repair shop know that they are at least paritially to blame and you expect them to make things right.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Thanks to all of your for your very valuable feedback. Aside from your great input, got on usmb.net and got some additional info, so I feel SO much better informed and ready to discuss with mechanic/insurance company/collison company tomorrow. By the way, if anyone knows a reputable indie Subaru mechanic in Las Vegas, we'd like to get a second opinion on the car's problem. Thanks!

Reply to
3Behrs

I'd be VERY interested in that also. AFIK Findlay Subaru is the only Subaru repair shop in the LV Valley.

Here is one alternative though (from the AAA website)

Car Care Plus Facilities AAA's Car Care Plus® facilities in California and Nevada, first of a growing breed, put AAA's auto expertise to work on your car. They provide a one-stop solution for your repair and maintenance needs, and offer other amenities for busy drivers and their families. Nevada Henderson

1251 American Pacific Drive, Suite 101 Henderson, NV 89074 Open weekdays 7:30 a.m.- 6 p.m.; Open Saturdays 7:30 a.m.- 5 p.m. For an appointment, call 1-702-568-5222. Our menu of services The highly trained technicians at the Car Care Plus centers perform a full array of services using state-of-the-art equipment: ? Vehicle Inspection Service ? Specific problem diagnostics ? Oil change ? Smog check and related repairs ? Brake system repair ? Basic electrical repair ? Minor engine repair ? Four-wheel alignment ? Air conditioning service ? Cooling system service All services are covered by a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty ? 24 months/24,000 miles for AAA Members. Members also receive a 10% Show Your Card & Save discount on all labor costs and select package services.
Reply to
QX