overheating Forester

Hi all

My '02 Forester S has suddenly developed a fever - temp. gauge starts climbing as soon as I start up a steep hill in traffic, and the fan starts going constantly. I can bring the temp. down by putting the heater on, but that's just a temporary fix. Anyone run into this problem or have any ideas as to its cause-heater core, or faulty thermostat, maybe?

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Edward Hayes

Forresters have a documented coolant problem. Leaks develop and it can leak into the head gasket. Got a letter for my 2001, has to go to dealer for special additive and that must be added every coolant change. If you get this done (and present the letter), Subaru will warranty the head gasket for

100k.

Reply to
BKS

Hi all

Re my post of earlier this week. Took the car to the dealer to have the problem checked out. Got a call from them at work later in the day-radiator clogged, couldn't be cleaned out. Need a new radiator to the tune of $470. Told dealership that a radiator should last more than 57K miles and that I wasn't going to pay it, and to put it back together. Dealer told me that they would contact the field rep. about cutting me some slack, even though the car was out of warranty. Bottom line-$470 turned into under $200 after Subaru agreed to split the cost with me for the replacement radiator. The bad news - crappy radiator. Shouldn't clog this early in the game-I live in western Mass., not the western Sahara, so I'm that much more disappointed with Subaru durability. The good news - Subaru of America responded with remarkable alacrity in dealing with the problem and agreeing to meet me half way (although I was told that the fact that I am a "good customer" - unwilling victim is more like it - made the difference in their approach to the problem).

That's my rant for the day.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K