P0108/rough idle error code after fishtailing and spinning on the highway

This morning I had a a P0108 error code (Manifold Absolute Pressure/ Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input) come on after I lost control of my 2000 Legacy GT 5speed on the highway - fishtailed about 4 times and then did a complete 360 before coming to a stop (deer jumped about a quarter second in front of me at 65 mph). Now the car has a really rough, low RPM idle but is fine at speed. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

-Adam Peacock snipped-for-privacy@thepeacock.net

Reply to
Adam Peacock

You scared the hell out of it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Good suggestion. I would also just clear the code and see if it returns. I suspect it will, the rough idle seems to point to a real issue, but sometimes clearing the ECU will work miracles.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It might. Subaru ECUs are adaptive. If it sees a code, it assumes something is wrong and tries to compensate for it. I have cleared misfire codes (from my wife leaving the gas cap off) and the car smooths out.

Reply to
JD

Just wondering what caused your wife to misfire and what kind of gas cap she has... i might one day need one for mine... ;)

JD wrote:

Reply to
AS

Wives misfire constantly. Since only their creator can understand them and they seem to communicate by telepathy or something, I doubt anyone will ever figure out why they misfire. And when they do, the response is certainly a code of some kind; and they don't need any kind of cap to do it...

Reply to
JD

JD

Sure wish I knew how to clear those codes. Mine misfires all the time. My Subaru runs fine though.

Reply to
suburboturbo

A lot of times you can clear the codes by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a couple of minutes. Of course, it will also clear your settings on the radio.

Reply to
Weaponer

$70 at your local walmart and you'll have a code scanner that'll clear and read them. I bought the nicer one at $100 and it's come in a lot more handy than I'd ever think.

Or you can take the car to auto zone when they're not busy. They'll scan and read the codes... but i dunno if they'll erase em though.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Chocolate and roses. My Scoobie runs fine too.

Reply to
JD

Won't clear a 2000 Sub. Codes are in NVRAM.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

replying to AS, Liv123 wrote: Where?s that locAted?

Reply to
Liv123

replying to AS, Liv123 wrote: Where?s that locAted?

Reply to
Liv123

Liv123 responded to a post *OVER TEN YEARS OLD*:

MID of parent post to which Liv replied. See a copy at:

where the datestamp is shown as:

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:51:52 -0500

AS replied to Adam Peacock (a Google Grouper) whose post can be seen at:

and its datestamp is:

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:43:45 -0000

So that thread to which Liv123 replied was over 10 years old. Liv123 posted through Supernews. Their retention policy says they keep text posts for 14 years. That's for Supernews. Not everyone in Usenet is using an provider with such long retention times. Many are just a few years for retention (because current applicability wanes with age). I had to dig into an archive to find the parent post because it was not available at my Usenet provider's NNTP server.

Next time, and before replying, check the datestamps of the posts.

Replied to AS, not to AS and self. The single MID header listed in the References header is for AS' post.

Instead of dredging up someone's decade-old thread, start a new thread and also provide details (Subaru model, year, auto or manual tranny, error code, if you performed the same spinout as AS, etc).

*IF* you got the same P0108 error code, its description is "MAP/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input". One source is the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. It's usually in or near the air filter box in the intake path.

With your car as old as AS's (a 2000 year), probably time to replace the MAP sensor. They're pricey. You could try using MAP/MAF spray cleaner. If it's the filament type, you could VERY GENTLY use a long swab wetted with cleaner. Could be the barometric pressure sensor. When I did a search on "MAP" at an auto store for 2000 Subaru Legacy GT (didn't know which engine to pick so I chose the EJ252), it came up with 2 sensors: barometric pressure sensor ($315) for automatic transmission and MAP sensor ($78) for manual transmission.

Sometimes you can find helpful videos at Youtube for DIY repairs, like:

VanguardLH