P0440 code

I got the Check Engine Light yesterday out of the blue. So I got out my OBD2-USB connnector and laptop and read the error code: P0440, Evaporative Emission Control System. Looked around the Net and a lot of people said it could just be a loose fuel filler door. It made a bit of sense, as I had just filled some gas earlier in the day. However, I'm sure I tightened it just as I normally do. Well, anyways, I tightened the fuel filler some more, and cleared the code. I'm wondering should I have done that, or should I have taken the car in and gotten it checked out? The solutions on the Net usually suggest tightening the fuel filler cap, but in some cases it could be more serious such as a charcoal canister going bad or something.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Step by step from the manual:

  1. Check fule filler cap - Is is tight? If no, tighten.
  2. Check fuel filler pipe packing - is there any damage to the seal? Repair or replace fule filler cap and fule filler pipe.
  3. Check drain valve

- Connect test mode connector

- Turn ignition ON

- Operate drain valve Dopes drain valve produce operating sound? - Replace drain valve if no.

  1. Check purge control solenoid valve

- Operate purge control solenoid valve (note: it can also be executed using Subaru Select Monitor) Does purge control solenoid valve produce operating sound? Replace it if no.

  1. Check pressure control solenoid valve

- Operate pressure control solenoid valve (note: it can also be executed using Subaru Select Monitor) Does pressure control solenoid valve produce operating sound? Replace it if no.

  1. Check evoparative emission control system line (ignition OFF) Is there a hole of more than 1 mm in the line? Repair or replace it if yes.
  2. Check canister - is canister damaged or is there a hole of more than 1 mm in it? Repair or replace it it yes.
  3. Check fuel tank - is fuel tank damaged or is there a hole of more than 1 mm in it? Repair or replace it it yes.
  4. Check any other mechanical trouble in evaporative emission control system Any holes, cracks, clogging ot disconnections of hose or pipes in the evaporative emission control system? Repair or replace hose or pipes if yes. If no, contact SOA service.

Basically, sounds like nothing to worry if the code does not come back. And check hoses and connections if it does.

DK

Reply to
DK