Paint chips?

I have read from users on another forum that Subaru paint chips easily. Anyone see that on theirs? I saw an older one on Ebay, and there was a closeup pic of the hood, and the black paint looked chipped. I live in a big city, and cars take a beating, and wondering if Sube's have a problem.

VF

Reply to
houndman

I'd say it's overblown.

Yeah, I have touched up a few paint chips on the front of my hood.

But that was also true of the Mazda I owned, the Dodg I owned, the Honda....

Buy $20 of touch up paint and move on with life. Only things I'd worry about are head gasket integrity on certain model years on the

2.5L engine, how the prior owner appears to have cared for the vehicle, and budgeting for routine maintenance which can be a bit pricey, like most modern import vehicles.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I'm looking at New, but wanted to check some things about older ones, and saw the pics, and remembered other things I had read.

Yea, the head gaskets are a bigger concern, and something I'm thinking about, but my old chevy looks like it has scars on it from all the scrapes and chips. I had a car that when it got dented, the paint peeled, not sticking to the metal when bent. I don't need more stressors in my life, so investigating all that I can. Don't really need a new or another car, but just had a birthday, and need a present.)

VF

Reply to
houndman

I dunno how it compares to other cars - some treaties and other environmental laws have forced manufacturers to reformulate paints to reduce VOCs and likely all cars could have had a year or 2 that were worse than previous. Keep in mind also that many soobs are used in conditions other cars do not or can not regularly operate. Gravel, dirt,etc.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You saw an "older one" WHAT? Subaru is a brand, not a model. I've had my Legacy L for 15 years and the rust that it has was from malicious damage or road damage that I didn't repair (but now doing after getting disgusted with the rust spots). When I got mine, I noticed that all, and I mean all, the Loyales were badly rusted more than just the years would account for here in salty roads Minnesota.

If you actually mentioned WHICH model you were interested in buying new then someone that has had one for awhile and even performed average maintenance on its body, like dabbing touchup paint on the stone nicks and getting it washed and waxed (things that I didn't do for several years), could tell you how the paint fares over time.

Reply to
Vanguard

I was thinking that Subaru would use the same paint on ALL models. I'm looking at new impreza's. The car I saw was an 02', but others I read who complained about chipping had 06's.

VF

Reply to
houndman

**I have a 2005 Impreza RS and although I'm not having a chipping problem (and I've done 3 MI to CT and back again trips), the paint scratches like a bastard. It's dark blue and, man, do those scratches show. During a spot of warm weather, I managed to buff one out with polishing compound and paint cleaner wax. So I'm going to tackle all the rest when the weather finally turns warm. I've had two other cars (diff makes) with the identical color that did *not* scratch and swirl as badly as this. I'm hoping a good paint cleaning and a proper waxing will help. All that said, however, it's a *very* fun car to drive :)

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Sounds like you have surface mars, since you can buff them out, and not scratches through the paint. Like the paint is soft.

VF

Reply to
houndman

**Some of them look to be deep (I can feel scratch and, on some, see a white base) so before I do undertake "The Buffing" I'm going to pick up some touch-up paint. To be honest, the paint and clear-coat seem more thin than soft but we'll see what happens when I start sprucing the car up for spring.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

I don't know if it chips more or not but I do know the chips are a lot more visable.

2002 silver forester. When it chips, and there are a lot of them, the paint under (primmer?) is dark, so the chips really show. I am the original owner so I know it has never been painted. I also have a silver GMC 1 ton PU. It has chips but the primmer is a similer color so they don't show as much.
Reply to
Paul

91 Liberty wagon traded at 332000Km lots of touched up areas at front and a few on roof, mostly attributable to significant travel on dirt, gravel and back roads under repair.

Current 99 OBW 175000Km, still a few on roof, only about half a dozen on bonnet (hood to you?) and quite a lot on lower apron. Similar driving. Difference is this one has the plastic hood and headlight protectors. Good investment if they're available to you.

City driving never too much damage with either of them. Now the 4" bolt that came off the rear doubles on a semi and thumped the top of my bike helmet? That was a different matter entirely :-) Cheers

Reply to
hippo

You made me think of a golf ball sized stone, coming out of doubles on a semi, going in the opposite direction, on a 2 lane highway. I saw if bouncing about eye high, and closing fast. The shoulder was gravel, and traveling at speed, I didn't think it was wise to try it. Things happened So fast, I just ducked. The windsheild was in tact (I think Screen to you).8-) When I stopped, I looked ALL over, but couldn't find anything. I Heard the impact Loud, so it hit somewhere. Took a while, and then I saw, the stainless steel windshield wiper arm had a divit in it. Saved by the wiper arm.

VF

Reply to
houndman

I have a dark green 2 1/2 year old Forester. I haven't noticed problems with the paint integrity. What might be noteworthy to you: About 4 hours after I bought the vehicle, a hail storm came through my neighborhood. Damaged my car something fierce. The hood was particularly bad. Try opening your hood: notice how light it is? I think it's made of aluminum, and mere photons of light are rumored to leave dents. That said, the paint on those unrepaired dents is still viable. YMMV.

Reply to
P T