Parking lights --- what's the point?

This may be a dumb question, but what are parking lights for?

I discovered my car had them today when one of the guys at the carwash accidently bumped the switch while cleaning the inside and I couldn't figure out why my tail lights and blinkers were staying on when my car was off.

Reply to
Rebecca B.

Presumably for "parking".

Reply to
Ragnar

Reply to
Rebecca B.

As far as my understanding, the oft-misused parking lights are for turning on when you are in your car but not moving. Thus, if you are driving then need to pull over and stop for whatever reason you drop your lights down one level to the parking lights so that other drivers know you are not moving or about to move. That's about it. I use them occasionally, and honestly I more than often I see people driving around with them on as some kind of "dusk lights", but in fact it's usually illegal to drive with your parking lights on.

you know, my subby has a switch > Right, but I just don't understand why I would want to be able to turn

Reply to
othelloperrello

So how do they do this in Europe. I've heard that in some places you have to leave them on all night when you park on the side of the road. Supposedly you can switch on just the left or right side, depending on which side of the road you park.

Reply to
Ed

Isn't this what your hazards are for?

Reply to
Rebecca B.

Hazards are to attract lots of attention, when the vehicle is in a hazardous spot or seeking help. They are annoying to other drivers in certain situations.

Parking lights simply make you easier to spot in low speed situations, and are way easier on other driver's eyes as they maneuver around you. In some countries, parking lights are used when the vehicle is parked on narrow streets at night.

On another note, the parking lights (and taillights) typically light trailer running lights, and on my enclosed trailer, provided power for the inside lights. That switch let me have lights inside the trailer without leaving the keys in the vehicle or other electricals powered up. Hazards gave me a portable disco inside the trailer!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

Reply to
Rebecca B.

If you park on the right hand side of the road in the UK then the rear reflectors are ineffective. It is advisable to therefore use the parking lights. In sub-urban and rural areas they are also useful for visibility.

Don't believe it is law but more advisable.

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny Kitching

Ah, found it at the wikipedia:

In Germany, the StVZO (Road Code) calls for a different function also known as parking lamps: With the vehicle's ignition switched off, the operator may activate a low-intensity light at the front (amber or white) and rear (red) on either the left or the right side of the car. This function is used when parking in narrow unlit streets to provide parked-vehicle conspicuity to approaching drivers. This function, which is optional under ECE and US regulations, is served passively and without power consumption in North America by the mandatory sidemarker retroreflectors.

Reply to
Ed

I tried leaving them on in a dark parking lot. I was under the impression that they could be left on overnight without draining the battery completely. I came back to my car with the battery almost completely dead. The power locks functioned weakly, and I didn't have enough to start the engine.

Luckily I was staying at a place where the manager had battery problems before and kept an emergency jump starter in his van. It worked like a charm and I had a long enough drive to charge up my battery for at least a couple of cold starts.

When I got home I checked what was available and got a couple of these for the family:

There are other brands on the market. I know Wal-Mart and many auto parts stores carry different kinds. Some come with on/off switches (to avoid accidental shorting). Some have lights or air compressors built-in. I like this one since it's small and easy to handle. I've actually used it twice. Once was in a parking lot for someone who would have had a hard time getting another car in position to use regular jump cables. The other time it was for a coworker who used to make fun of my penchant for electronics gadgets. If you use one of these things, I've heard it's a good idea to let it run a minute or so. Something about reducing the current charging a mostly dead battery and to actually charge the jump starter's battery.

Reply to
y_p_w

I think you already got your answer. They are used to make your car visible at night, while parked, drawing less current from your battery. Some european cars can turn the lights on only one side of the car or both. I normally use them when I leave my car on the street at night.

One secondary benefit, is that they partially and slowly discharge the battery, thus avoiding "cristalization" of the chemicals in the battery plates. When I was younger and went out at night a lot, I always used them and the battery in my father's car, lasted just around 9 years (he sold the car after 20 years, ;) ). The issue is that you will get many well intentioned people calling your attention to you having left your lights on.

Rebecca B. wrote:

Reply to
AS

Thanks, everyone for your responses.

Reply to
Rebecca B.

As others have mentioned, they are commonly used in Europe, when parking in unlit alleys and narrow streets. Typically they are not used all night, just for the time it takes to shop or have a meal.

It is a good habit to use them at night when you stop to yield the right-of-way to someone, but you still want them to know you are there. For example, a car pulling out of the parking place in front of you. Use the parking lights to let him know you're there, but don't blind him with your headlights. Similarly, when I pull over for an emergency vehicle, I always switch to the parking lights to indicate that I see him and am yielding the right-of-way.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

For visibility, when driving in the rain. (assuming running lights also). Other than that, not much I guess.

Reply to
Paul Knudsen

If you need to park somewhere at night where others would not expect a car to be parked.

Reply to
John Rethorst

My experience was that my battery was drained to the point where it didn't have enought to start after about 10 hours. I don't know at what point it wouldn't have started, but I have the feeling it isn't meant for more than a couple of hours tops. If you really need to make sure the car is visible, I might suggest something like a battery powered LED blinker for bicycle use.

Reply to
y_p_w

It often is a dead battery! Just did one today. The point is that Subaru has the regular light switch ties to the ignition switch, and this gives someone the option of leaving the light on with the key off. Not normally possible on Subaru's Sorry i'm late on thir reply, and i'm also sorry is someone else answered it.

Reply to
Stephen H

Reply to
Jeff Clodfelter

This is has got to be one of the oddest posts. There are a good dozen plus replies with several good answers and all you can do is ask what the original poster finds out???? Try following the thread.

Reply to
Ed