Partially engage parking brake?

Just to verify, there's no way to partially engage the electronic parking brake on an Outback, right? I was just reading some information about handling emergency situations in cars, and it reminded me that in my older cars, I always had the option of pulling gently on the parking brake once the car was going pretty slowly. Now it's all or nothing, right?

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Probably depends on the model year. Do you have a pull lever in the center console or do you have a dash or console button to pull/push? If you have a button then obviously there is no way to graduate its position as you had with a lever. A button is either on or off. A lever attached to a cable can vary how much tension is placed on the cable by how much you rotate the lever. If it is a smart EPB, there may not even be a button (and obviously still no lever) since operation is automatic when putting the car in or out of Park.

That's one online manual that I found. You weren't specific which Outlook you have (model and year). According to page 9-17, you have to get a Subaru dealer to release the EPB if it sticks on. Page 7-42 discusses the EPB.

Reply to
VanguardLH

My guess is that you're pretty much stuck with plan B i.e., turn off the engine and shift to low.

Reply to
dsi1

Oops, better make that shift to low and then turn off the engine. Plan C is find something soft to slow you down. Plan D is you find something hard to slow you down. Most people just start with plan D.

Reply to
dsi1

Maybe attach a deployable parachute or throw out a tethered anchor (depending on from what speeds you plan to decelerate)?

Reply to
VanguardLH

If you have a new Subaru, you could just steer towards the any car in front of you. The Subaru SureStop system will automatically deploy a parachute and shoot a road piercing harpoon into the pavement. Oh, you're surely gonna stop alright. :)

Reply to
dsi1

Didn't think about that. Damn, where's a tree when you need one.

Reply to
VanguardLH

I have used a tree as part of a plan D braking strategy. The best thing about this method is that it will always work 100% of the time. This makes a tree more reliable than any fancy schmancy German brake system.

Reply to
dsi1

Just a little pushbutton near the steering wheel.

Guess it's downshift and hope for the best...

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter