Passenger door ajar light in dash won't go out

Anyone know how to simply disconnect what is keeping the light on continually indicating the passaenger door is open? 1991 Legacy

Reply to
new2subaru

Hi,

On my '90 Loyale, the switch that operates the courtesy light also operates the "door ajar" light. You might try shooting some contact cleaner, or even WD-40, into the switch and operating it a few time. They sometimes get junk in there, or corrode. There may be a rubber cover over the switch you'll need to pull off to get to where you can shoot some "stuff" in there.

That's all I've got right this minute...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

If it helps any, these circuits typically run a hot lead to the dome light and indicator and opening the door activates a switch that grounds that circuit. I'm not sure if your 91 legacy is set up that way or not. If it is, however, you may have a short in that wiring somewhere that is grounding that wire somewhere other than the switch associated with the door. You'll have to find that wire.

It can be a pain in the ass to track these down. A wiring diagram will be something you'll need to get started in where you can cut to float that problem door.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.