Phase I or Phase II 2.5 L. engine ?

How do I determine if I have a Phase I or Phase II 2.5 L engine? And what distinguishes an early Phase II from later Phase II?

I'm thinking about buying a Chevy Equinox with the old venerable small block engine. Subaru seems to have an engine design problem.

AJay

Reply to
AJay

PHASE 1 (Dual Overhead Cam): Used in:

1996 to 1999 Legacy Outback 1996 to 1999 Legacy GT 1998 Impreza RS 1998 Forester

Typical head gasket failure mode: Internal leak, not externally visible. May see bubbles in overflow reservoir, sludgy residue on walls of overflow reservoir, random overheating of engine.

Covered by service bulletin: No

Cost to repair: DIY: $200 parts Independent shop: $1000-$1500 Dealership: $2000

PHASE 2 (Single Overhead Cam): Used in:

2000 to present (non-turbo) Legacy Outback 2000 to 2004 Legacy GT 2000 to present Legacy 1999 to present non-turbo Impreza 2.5 (RS, TS, Outback Sport) 1999 to present non-turbo Forester

Typical head gasket failure mode: External leak, sweet smell, coolant visible on engine, slowly dropping coolant level.

AJay wrote:

Reply to
mrputler

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:09:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: Thanks mrputer for your response. A minute after I submitted my request it dawned on me to use Google. I had a senior moment.