Piston slap HELP!

My 99 Outback has piston slap. Started to become quite noticeable at 45000, now has 65000. Subaru district tech checked it out and agreed that it had very noticeable slap even when engine reached operating temperature. He aurhorized local dealer to replace pistons #2 and #4. THEN it turns out he did not realize my engine is a Phase I and there are no corrective pistons for it. They refuse to install a short block which I think some people have gotten that have the Phase I. Of course I am pissed and told them so. Just got a call from SOA telling me they will give me a $500 rebate on any new Subaru I buy within the next year. WOW!! It would be of great help to me if anyone who has had pistons replaced could let me know what the cost was. I mean what the cost would have been if Subaru did not eat the bill. My Email address is snipped-for-privacy@aol.com. I will watch this group as well for any replies. Thanks, Jack

1935 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup 1951 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe 1970 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe 1999 Subaru Outback wagon 2001 Mazda Tribute SUV
Reply to
DODGENUT1

Call out the district guy again. Tell him, minus the piston issue, that he authorized them to FIX your car. Don't even let him bring up the "I didn't notice-blah-blah and "pistons not avail-blah-blah" He fully realized you had a problem and was willing to take responsibility for it

- HE (Subaru's agaent) made the mistake - NOT you. You should be 'made whole' in this issue and if that means getting a rebuilt Phase II, or a short block, or WHATEVER it takes to make you a satisfied customer - they should do it and do it quickly - and then apologize.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

DODGENUT1 wrote:

Reply to