Possible oil leaks at rear of Engine?

Hello, Can you guys give me a few ideas of what could be leaking toward the rear of the engine? 2.2L Outback with 104,000 miles. I am getting oil that drips on the Y pipe and stinks when I come to a stop as it burns off. Everything toward the front of the car is clean, I just did a valve cover gasket that was dripping pretty bad and thought that was the problem, but apparently I still have a another leak.

Thanks as always for the help, Matt

Reply to
fly1747

Cam carrier, rear main, oil pan, take your pick. Santa is doing my 86

1.8 this year. Needed a new clutch, so what the heck, about half apart anyway. Yeah, Mobil 1 at -10F smell at the traffic lights is bad! PU!
Reply to
pheasant

Hi,

About the only thing at the rear of the engine's the rear main crank seal. They don't leak very often, but when they do, they'll get oil on the clutch or you may find leakage at the bottom of the bell housing (auto or manual.)

More likely, there's still a leak at the front that's allowing oil to migrate backwards and drip off onto the Y-pipe. Cam seals are one of "the usual suspects" as is the front crank seal. Did you give the engine a good "bath" after doing the valve covers to get rid of any residual mess that could still be dripping? I've had situations where there was enough goo left from a bad leak that it took a couple of weeks to get it all burned off.

Another possibility is an inner CV joint boot w/ a tear, throwing grease on the pipe or front cat. That's a horrid smell...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Reply to