Possible Purchase of '03 Impreza Wagon

I've been looking at a '03 Impreza Wagon for sale at the local Subaru dealership. I'd appreciate any comments on the following items I noticed during the test drive;

- when I tried emergency stops on snow and dry pavement, a noticable "whirring" noise was evident - it seemed to come from the front end - when I test drove a '04 the noise is not there - what do you suppose could cause this? ( I spoke to the salesman about it and he said he will talk to the service dept but I'm not expecting too much truth from him - if his lips are moving he's usually lying )

- after a test drive on a cold snowy day, the rear and side windows fogged up quite badly - some reviews say that Subarus have substandard air circulation in the back - have any of you noticed this problem in your vehicles?

It's a great car to drive and only has 11,000 kms (7000 miles) BUT it was used as a service vehicle for their repair dept. for several months. Do you think it's too risky to buy a vehicle that was used for these purposes?

Any constructive comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
PlayfulSpirit
[posted and mailed]

"PlayfulSpirit" wrote in news:Lblwb.482620$pl3.389805 @pd7tw3no:

ABS? My previous vehicle didn't have ABS and the first time it kicked in stopping at a slippery intersection the noise was a little troubling. Once I realized what it was it doesn't concern me any longer.

I have an '03 Impreza Wagon and we have already had some -20C weather here in Edmonton, Alberta. I have not had any issues with windows fogging as long as the fan is actually running.

I am very happy with the car so far (got it in August).

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

The sweet sound of ABS working for you...

Air circulation was probably set to recirculate. To avoid fogging up of the rear you must set it to suck in outside air.

You mean as a loaner? I'd be very cautious about buying one of those.

Reply to
powertrain

Shouldn't be the ABS, since the '04 definitely has ABS too.

How much di dyou pay in Canadian Pesos? Did the dealer have a fixed price, or did you negotiate 10% off or what? Thanks!

Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Reply to
Father Guido

As others have said, most likely the ABS. I had a bad reaction the first time I heard it too, sounds like a grating/whirring noise from the front end. As soon as you realize what it is, it's pretty comforting :-) As for not being there in the 04, perhaps they have changed the way it works/sounds in later models? I have an 02 Impreza wagon, that noise is there for sure.

Interesting you mention that, I have noticed the same in my wagon. We don't get snow or cold (Vancouver), but when it rains and is very humid, I get the same effect. I don't know about "quite badly" - I can still shoulder check fine, and see out the back window - but its definatly more fog than I would expect to have. Depends on what you're willing to live with, it has not made much difference to me. If that happens, just turn the fan up past 1, or turn on the A/C for a bit, the compressor for A/C is normally more powerful.

I personally would never touch a service vehicle. I've had service vehicles before, and know how I drive them :-) Again, up to you as to what you're willing to live with.

That being said, the Impreza wagon is the best car I've ever owned, on a bang-for-buck scale. I would buy one again for sure.

Reply to
Beefcake

works/sounds

Reply to