"Power" light flashes after start up

Subaru Legacy, 1992, 168K - More and more frequently, when I start the car, the Power light on the dashboard (next to the Manual light) flashes 16 times. Generally, this is accompanied by extremely sluggish and stiff grinding when i turn sharply - i.e., into a parking space or anything past 90 degrees. Just had steering rack replaced as well as front struts. Has anyone encountered either the 16 flashes of the Power light or the hard grinding feel when turning car sharply? Thanks. Samantha

Reply to
samantha

sorry - just found this. didn't come up before in my search:

The power light on the 90-94 legacy is the equivalent of the "check trans" light. If it has a trouble code in memory, it will flash 16 times whenever you start the car, if there is a critical failure during the driving, it will start flashing while driving. So your 16 flashes are not the actual trouble code, but rather the indication that there is a trouble code in the memory. I can not remember if there is a way to check the trans memory without the use of a scan tool, I will look into it for you.

Reply to
samantha

The sound you are describing is probably the center differential binding. Given the mileage on the car, if you intend to keep it you will want to start checking around for a good used transmission.

Reply to
mulder