Power Steering leak on 93 Subaru Impreza

My 93 impreza has just sprung a leak in the power streering line. I would appreciate any advice on what parts I need to fix the leak, where to get them, and on a procedure to follow to replace the power steering line.

Is this a job I should try myself, or should I have it done? If I have it done, any idea about the cost?

Thank you so much.

Godfrey Muganda

Reply to
Godfrey Muganda

This is a fairly easy DIY project, assuming you have at least a set of metric wrenches. IIRC, the PS lines are way expensive from Subaru, like $250! Probably your best bet will be a used set from a salvage yard. Seems like they were getting around $75 for a set last time I needed one. Take your car to a high-pressure car wash and clean the engine compartment and subframe/steering rack areas. Put a pan beneath the subframe to catch fluid. Remove the lines at the fittings on the subframe, and allow fluid to drain into pan. Remove two screws holding lines to intake manifold, and finally disconnect the lines from the pump. I don't recall having to loosen the pump to accomplish this, but if you need to, remove the drive belt, and reach thru the spokes of the pulley to remove three bolts holding the pump to it's bracket. The pump will then lift free of the engine. Drain as much of the old fluid as you can, clean things up, being careful not to get dirt into the system, and reassemble. Fill the pump reservoir with fresh fluid, start the engine, work the steering lock-to-lock a couple times, and top off the fluid level as required.

Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

Hi Steve, Thank you so much. That is very helpful.

I was able to find the lines at AutoZone (special order) for about $35 each for the pressure and return hose. I am waiting for the parts to arrive so I can do the repairs.

Thanks again.

Godfrey

Reply to
Godfrey Muganda