Power Windows (98 Outback)

So, I was a little disappointed to find that my '98 Legacy Outback's power windows work like the power windows on all the non-subaru cars I've driven: the drivers's window has an auto-down ability, but not an auto-up -- which is especially annoying because the new position of the controls is not a place where it's comfortable for me to keep my finger on the button for the whole time the window goes up.

I guess the auto-up feature wasn't popular in America for some reason, because while the early 90s legacy had it, according to the manual, the '98 only had this ability on the right-drive models.

But given that, I was just hoping. It wouldn't surprise me if the window controls were actually the same between both versions of the car. In that case, enabling an auto-up ability would just be a matter of connecting a wire or setting a DIP switch or something.

Does anyone know if this is the case? Is there some way I can add an automatic-up ability to my driver's window without scouring the internet for a right-handed window switch?

Thanks

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

I am in the same boat. I want auto-up on my Impreza so I am going to have to add that myself, but it's on the list of things I have yet to get at.

From my understanding, auto-up was removed because too many irresponsible parents let children hurt themselves in them. If there are other reasons manufacturers removed this useful feature, I'm all ears. (-;

I rather doubt Subaru would spend the extra to put auto-up in a car if it would never be used. Probably not going to have a switch you can flip, especially if they are using window motor load sensing.

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

That's some irresponsible parenting, as the auto-up was usually only on the driver's window. Remeber: Never drive with a child on your lap.

I knew it seemed unlikely that they'd put the hardware in anyway, but I was thinking that maybe it was cheaper to build all the control devices the same way, and just disconnect the wire for the US version.

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

Interesting. When was it removed? My '89 GL has auto-up on the driver's side.

I just bought a window switch off e-bay so I can hopefully add auto down/up the the passenger's side.

My '88 Supra had Auto Down only, and all that took was removing the window switch and breaking off a tab that prevented the switch from locking...

Reply to
Hachiroku

It is cheaper to design and tool one switch than two. It's called Economies of Scale.

That being said, there are likely different versions of the same switch

- the NA version probably is missing some minor electronic components to allow the auto-up feature. If someone could get a schematic of the 2 versions, it wouldn't be hard to figure out how to enable this feature.

DS

Reply to
DS

When was auto-up removed? Not sure. My '87 and '89 GL's both had auto-up, along with my '89 XT6, while my '93 Impreza does not. My mother has a '93 Legacy that also has the auto-up driver's window, so there is definitely a feature discrepancy during the same model years.

I'm sure grabbing a switch panel from an 89 GL or Legacy from the local u-pull yard wouldn't be too tough, and you can see what Subaru has done. My mother's legacy switch remains in the up position while the window is moving, and clicks off after it finishes. The others have a two-part switch that engages the second when you push it all the way in either direction. Not sure which would be easier to reverse engineer. Maybe the Legacy.

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

All I know for sure is that it had it on the '91 legacy, and doesn't on the '98. The switches are of a completely different design on the '98, and don't physically lock for up or down the way they did in the past; you just sort of push the button all the way down then release immediately (if you hold it, the window will stop moving when you release), the same way Volvos of the same vintage do (And probably most other cars. But I was a little surprised when I was driving a Pontiac Vibe to find that the window *always* auto-downs, so you have to push down and then back up if you don't want it to keep going.)

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski