Price For 1998 Legacy Outback Wagon?

We would like to sell my wife's car to our son and his wife.

It has only 30,000 miles and is in in superb condition, - so a steal-deal for them.

Any advice on the want-ads value for this model in the Seattle area?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dwight

As an alternate suggestion that worked REALLY well for me,

If you (or a friend) is a member of AAA, get onto their website, look at used car prices, and they will give you (I believe) three. One is the trade-in price, one is the outright sale price, and the third would be some sort of average. They will ask you questions about condition, mileage, tire condition, equipment, etc., before they compute a price.

I tried this with the two used cars i recently sold to buy my Subie and I asked and got exactly the correct price each time. (yeah, I had folks who tried hard to bargain me down, but the prices were good ones, and I felt like I'd gotten a fair price for both.) So get the prices and if it is a favored son, I'd give him the trade-in price. That seems to be about $1,000 below the retail price. I believe they stated the difference was for make-ready and sales expense, plus a little profit on the deal for the dealer.

Reply to
GTT

Without considering that you're selling to a family member, I'd say $8,000 is a fair price, give or take $500 or so. If you sell it to a family member, I'd say even less, but that's a touchy one.

Reply to
L. Kreh