Problem with new after market CD/Radio

Hello, I have a 2002 Subaru Forester and I got a new Kenwood MP228 radio/CD player for it. However, I cannot get good reception on the AM band. One of the strongest AM stations on the west coast, KGO 810 AM, does not come in at all. The old unit worked just fine as far as AM reception went so I don't think it's any problem with the antenna. The FM seems to work just fine. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
graycat

Did you have the windows tinted between radios? I also think there is an antenna amplifier that could have been left out of the rewiring for your new unit - not certain on that though.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

No, I did not tint the windows. I should mention that this is the second unit I have had the same problem with. I exchanged it thinking it was defective, but it is obviously not. I don't know anything about an antenna booster. The plug for the new unit looks just like the old one.

Reply to
graycat

Some aftermarket radios have pitiful AM performance, it's almost an afterthought. If you read reviews of car stereos on the web, NOBODY ever mentions AM. I'm guessing that most aftermarket customers are after better CD players, aux inputs, satellite compatibility, etc... and the talk radio junkie is happy with his OEM system. The aftermarket CD unit I put in my Wrangler has much worse AM performance than the crappy Chrysler system that it replaced.

All that said, does your car have one or two antennas, and where are they (or it)? Perhaps the stock unit had some sort of built-in booster or power supply for an active antenna that's built into your car?

Can the car stereo dealer fire it up on a test jig with another antenna?

Reply to
Bonehenge

Another possibility is that the AM antenna matching trimmer on the new radio (if so equipped) needs adjusting to peak the signal. AM wavelengths are very long compared to the physical antenna and an adjustable matching network is (or used to be) common.

Look for a small screwdriver adjustment near the antenna input of the radio and adjust for best signal quality on a weak station near the middle of the AM band.

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

Those went away a long time ago rick :) I HIGHLY suspect there is some kind of active device between the original equipment antenna and the new radio that is not getting power. They are usually supplied by the active antenna lead, the same one that raises the antenna when the radio is on. Due to the short whip they use now, a lot of OEM radios DO use a pre-amp inline and its close to the whip's location.No power to one..no signal thru it either. Check the radio by unplugging it from the car antenna and use a 3 foot piece of wire to see if the radio does indeed "hear".

Reply to
Mortimer Schnurd

Reply to
Edward Hayes

ok... If you need me I'll be out on the porch yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off my damn lawn...

Reply to
-rick-

I'll be out there with you! Goldurned broadband receiver front ends anyway. Ya know, vacuum tubes and semiconductors are both made out of sand anyway.

Mike (the old coot)

Reply to
Michael Pardee