Program new remote for 99 and later Outback & other Subaru's

I was having problems with the technique of turning the key 10 times within 15 seconds to get the security system into program mode. I finally decided that perhaps the 15 seconds begins as soon as you close the door rather than when you start turning the key. With this in mind I got into the seat, got the key ready, closed the door, and immediately started flicking the key. In about 10 seconds I got the honk for program mode.

Here's the entire procedure. If you don't get the honk in step 6 then go back to the beginning.

  1. Press remote UNLOCK button to deactivate alarm
  2. Open driver's door
  3. Enter vehicle
  4. Close driver's door
  5. Within 15 seconds of closing the door, turn the ignition key to the ON position and back to LOCK position 10 times
  6. Horn sounds once to indicate programming mode activated
  7. Within 45 seconds:
  8. Open driver's door
  9. Close driver's door
  10. Press the LOCK button or UNLOCK button on one of the remotes
  11. Horn sounds twice to indicate remote programmed
  12. Repeat steps 8 thru 11 for each additional remote
  13. Once last remote is programmed remove ignition key from lock
  14. Horn sounds three time to indicate end of programming mode
  15. Check operation of all remotes programmed
Reply to
couchpotato104