Pros / Cons of Replacing 92 loyale with 92 legacy

Hi,

I've owned a 92 loyale 4wd wagon for the past 4 years. We've used in for camping and trucking our two little kids (under 3yrs) around town. I bought it at 218,000km and now it's 272,000km. No major problems. I've replaced the radiator, alternator, clutch cable, front right tie rod, cv boots. I haven't had to put too much money into it because it's pretty easy to work on. It's always leaked a fair amount of oil from everywhere including the head gasket. The muffler is starting to sound funny and midas (a year ago) said it was going.

I'm considering getting a 92 legacy AWD wagon to replace it. It has

220,000km. They want $3800. I'd probably get $1000 in a trade-in.

I see this as an alternative to financing a $10,000 2002 Forrester or Toyota Sienna for example.

Benefits I see are:

  1. more power and supposedly "bulletproof" engine the EJ22
  2. probably no more leaks
  3. slightly safer but not as good as a mini-van
  4. no financing.

Cons I see:

  1. Still have a 14 year old car with around 200,000km.
  2. Inheritting new unknown problems.
  3. less safe than a newer car or mini-van

Is this a crazy idea for a young family?

Ryan

Reply to
ryanderk

So you would trade one car on the verge of $$$ repairs for another on the verge of $$$ repairs. I really would hate to rely on a car that old and with that mileage as my sole car. Buying a 15 year old car with 110k miles for ~$4k seems like folly to me. Either buy a newer lower mileage used car or spring for a new one. I saw a 4 door legacy sedan with sunroof and 17" wheels with a sticker of $22k. A new outback can be had for $22k or so. My preference is to buy new and keep for 8-10 years. I have several years without payments and I know the history/maintenance of the vehicle. A new Kia minivan can be had for close to $20k but no AWD.

Reply to
bigjimpack

I think it is. If I were you, I'd get that $10K 2002 Forester.

DK

Reply to
DK

My first post didn't take. Why not just keep the Loyale as a backup car? Both of these models can easily last will over 200K miles with just normal maintenance.

Reply to
johninky

Hi,

Just personal thoughts, but I wouldn't put that kind of money into a "new to you" car of that age. If your Loyale has a solid body (no serious rust, no serious collision damage) you'll probably be money ahead, if you're to have but a single car, to simply keep it up best you can. (Mine had 360k miles on it when it blew--209k when I bought it--so that EA-82's not as weak as you might think. I can't say it was babied before I got it, either. And when I get the time to play w/ it, it looks like it'll only cost me $1000-$1500 to put in a "decent" used engine. For maybe $2000, I can have it in better shape than it's been as long as I've owned it!) Otherwise, I'd be looking for something a lot newer, even at a somewhat higher price.

What you're REALLY gonna get w/ a Legacy over a Loyale at that age is arguable. Personally, I like the 4wd system that can be switched off better than ANY AWD system, let alone one that's 15-16 yrs old. AWD is a fine idea, but the reality is few people need it that much, and you can always flick it into 4wd if you have that option, and save a bit of gas and wear and tear on the drivetrain at other times.

Plus you already mentioned the possible "joys" of a totally unknown car...

Good luck,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Not crazy, but if it was me I probably wouldn't do it unless the Legacy has a bunch of new equipment (tires, brakes, etc.) You don't say whether you're in the snow belt or not, or whether the mini-van is being considered because your young family may continue growing to the size that might require the extra space for people and cargo that the Subaru wagons just don't offer. I don't see much sense in trading one 15 year old car for another unless the "new" one has considerably less mileage. At least you know what to expect with the Loyale. Someone else's Legacy might be full of surprises. Don't know how much safer the Legacy might be. Required safety gear is the same; can't say what options or factory upgrades the Legacy offers, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference in safety, just a little more room. Might be best to hang onto the Loyale until finances permit a jump to something considerably newer or bigger. Safety design and equipment has progressed a lot in 15 years. Good luck either way.

Reply to
suburboturbo

not sure where you live in (Canada?), but in States, 92 Legacy Wagon with that millage is apprised as follows (edmunds.com):

trade-in: $535 private party: $839 dealer retail: $1,355

Reply to
alf

Thanks for all your posts. The new twist is that I'll be getting some help on a new car. Probably a Yaris. We just don't have the finances for a newer subaru.

I know a toyota, even a small one, would be a great reliable city car for carting the kids around, but I love my loyale so I'll probably keep it. I know it'll last.

Ryan

Reply to
ryanderk

I don't know what kind of dollars you are talking about (US?). I had a 90 Loyale and miss it. If you are going to get rid of the Loyale, I would "upgrade" to a much newer car, like a 97 or 98 Outback. I sold my Loyale and got a 97 Outback, and for the most part feel it was a good move. Lot's more creature comforts and I wanted an automatic tranny. I already have another car with a stick.

Reply to
Sheldon

Before you buy one of the goofy yari look at the suzuki SX4. Far nicer and with AWD for 18k. Thats cheap.

Reply to
bigjimpack