Q: crankcase gasket leak and viscosity of oil used in Impreza i might buy

Im checking out a 99 Outback Sport with only 32,000 mi.

it has a weep in the front crankcase cover gasket on the bottom.

the car was maintained well- it has all the records and was maintained at the dealership regularly. no major repairs.

I noticed that in 1999-2001, 15w-40 was used in the vehicle at oil changes (yes, at the Subaru dealership). no note of customer request or anything. no sign of tow bar or anything. after that, 10w-30 was used up through 2005.

i called that specific dealership and asked why. they said that the

15w-40 was recommended back then, so thats what they put in. the car's own 1999 manual doesnt have that in there- only the usual 5w-30 or 10w-30.

so,

1) was this correct with the 15w-40? potential problem or no?

2) is this soon for a crankcase gasket weep, and could too thick of an oil have caused it (and other damage?)

Reply to
hometech99
15w40 oil was not recommended for anything except desert driving (like
Reply to
Edward Hayes

car was in pennsylvania - and i crawled under the rear also- no sign of trailering.

interestingly, dealer said they'd replace the seal.

question is whether to pass on the car or not

Reply to
hometech99

Dealer says they looked and it was the crank seal, so they are replacing it (pre-sale!)

anyway, again, is a crank seal failure normal at 5 years or 32,000 miles? or, just a function of the gaskets they used then?

or, as i wondered, because of the 3 years of 15w-40 oil in Pennsylvania???

Reply to
hometech99

I think yor reasoning may be incorrect.

Likely, there is nothing wrong _because of_ the 15w-40 oil.

Although it is a tiny bit heavier than the 10w-30, this engine can handle it very well, even in Pensylvania. The Subaru boxer type engine, is not known to be an ultra tight engine like some of the Toyota's, Acura's, and others. Pensylvania is not a very cold location either. So using this oil grade 'in of itself' did not compromise the engine, or seals, I believe.

The point of contention for me is why would someone use 15-40? Was there a problem that 15-40 oil was supposed to help fix? Was it the seal seepage that someone hoped to stop or slow down by using thicker oil? If that was the case I would buy the car and have new seals put on.

But perhaps there was some engine knock, or valve noise, or other mechanical problem that a different viscosity oil was to improve.

My first bet would be that thicker oil was used to ameliorate the seal seepage, and the car is probably in good shape. But why would an owner of a new car decide not to have the seeping seals replaced under warranty???

Maybe it was a different problem, indeed?

Tough choice.

If you could only talk to the previous owner.

MN

Reply to
MN

well actually- to be sure- read the original post again.

one, i checked the records and 15w40 was used from the get-go for 3 years. then, i called THAT subaru dealer and the service dept told me they used that in everything back then.

10w30 was used after that.

so, i doubt it had leak or knock back then that the cust would have complained about. i see no complaints on the service shhets, other than a glovebox door or brake squeak that was fixed.

so, im back to wondering why seals would leak at 5years/32,000 mi.

the dealer IS replacing the crank seal. i just want to have an idea of that means anything in itself, or are there other factors.

so, the 15w40 wasnt switched to BECAUSE of a leak.

MN wrote:

Reply to
hometech99

I suppose if the PCV valve/system weren't functioning properly it could stress a seal. Or just bad luck getting a car with poor assembly/bad part during engine build.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Bad seal material and PVC type problem, or sloppy assembly were suggested.

Maybe driven very hard? Abused?

This could ruin seals I guess, that is high rpm's, redlining the engine, I don't know, maybe inspect the tires carefully for any signs of premature/excessive wear. If new I'd be suspicious but than 32k and 5years, sounds like somewhere near time for new tires anyway. Maybe inspecting the wear on brake pads is the way to go?

MN

Reply to
MN