Question: Installing XT6 Transmission

OK, this should be pretty staighforward install,,,, BUT, I've got the old trans out and the new trans almost in my 88 XT6 AWD auto. I can't get the torque converter to seat all the way down where it should be. I didn't notice it until I got the the thing all the way in, and almost ready to bolt up, and then the bell housing was coming up about a 1/4 inch short of the block. Now I've dropped the trans back out, and after about an hour of investigating and comparing the new trans with the old trans, I found that the center shaft that goes into the torque converter on the new trans needs to seat in about another 1/4 inch. I can play around with the old one and get it to go in fairly easy, but I can't seem to get the the new one to drop in. Is there something that I'm missing here, do I need to be in a specific gear or is there some trick to this? Some marks somewhere that need to be lined up? Do I just need to get a bigger hammer?

Anyone have any suggestions? I need to get this thing back together before the snow get here.

Thanks

J.

Reply to
uebernoob

First visit

Forget about a bigger hammer. The TC must be fully seated. If it isn't and you install it thinking it will somehow seat by itself all you will do is bust the internal oil pump. (Been there, done that.) The TC will eventually slide all the way in but you have to keep turning it and playing with it. A new member at XT6.net a few weeks ago had the same problem and he eventually got it installed. There is no trick involved in installing the TC other than you have to just keep trying until all the planets are in alignment and then it just slides into place. I have also learned to use wire to hold it in place once it is seated. Real PITA to finally have it then to have it slide back out when installing the transmission.

Reply to
johninKY

Ok,,, well, I guess the shaft had got on a abind or something during shipping or shipping prep, finally got it out and in and put together.....

about that internal pump thing, if it's broke how will I know beside the trans not working ? I mean are there any sounds that it will make, knocks or taps or just nothing?

and if it is bad,,, what then, do I have to completely disassemble the trans and put in a new one or will I need another housing to put the guts in or,,, well, i just don't know what else ?

Thanks for assist, btw

Reply to
uebernoob

You'll know the pump is broken after the transmission is installed because the car will not move in any gear. Also when either of the radiator ATF lines is pulled, no fluid will flow.

I don't think you have damaged anything based on your description of the installation.

A few months ago a member of www.xt6,net broke the pump He posted pictures of how he went about repairing the damaged parts.

The first time I installed a transmission in my Xt6 and broke the pump, I just bought another transmission and installed that one. We all learn from our mistakes.

Reply to
johninKY

Yeah, I've been looking around xt6.net, wish I would have found that before the installation. It sounds about like what we did. Got it up to about 1/4 inch from the engine,, it wouldn't move so we used the bolts for the bell housing to pull it closer to the engine :(

We didn't get a big boom but more like a snap,,, you know, the kind of snap you get when you're breaking a tight nut loose. That was the only thing I noticed while we we're trying to get it in the first time.

We came in , read thru that article on xt6.net, and found out that we'd done all the things that we weren't supposed to do.

We got the shaft to seat down where they were supposed to be. And thru it into the car, just hoping it would still work, but no luck.

Reply to
uebernoob

That "snap" sound you heard means it is all over. Do real need to check for ATF circulation because you don't have any now. Good chance someone over at XT6.net has a good 4EAT for sale. Good luck and don't force the next transmission.

Reply to
johninKY