Question on Radio in 2005 Outback Ltd. - Can it play MP3s?

My mom just got an 05 Outback Wagon Ltd (not the LL Bean model, one down).... does anyone know if the CD player will play MP3s on CD? I want to make her some CDs for Christmas but if I don't have to convert the MP3s to regular audio, that'd be great- many more songs on the disc. I can't find it anywhere in the online manual and don't have easy access to her car to try it out.

Thanks!

Reply to
ismlv

Of course not, no MP3 Only audio CDs. And to top it off, you can not install after makert MP3 player either (due to stupid intergated design).

Reply to
LB

I just bought a 2005 Outback. The instruction manual has directions for three different audio systems, A, B, and C. They look nearly identical, but the C variation CAN play MP3's. The other two cannot. All claim to be able to play CD-R's and CD-RW's.

I didn't know there were choices. Maybe there aren't really... But if you can find a C console, it will play MP3's.

Jason

Reply to
J Warren

I just took another look at the manual. If one of the main buttons on the radio is labeled "Text" you have the C variation that will play MP3's.

Reply to
J Warren

Interesting.. thanks for the info. I'll have to look for the "text" thing when I go for a visit tonite.

Reply to
ismlv

does anyone know if the CD player will play MP3s on CD? I want

regular audio, that'd be great- many more songs on the disc.

her car to try it out.

Wont't work. Subaru radios are the low low end. Your mom is stuck .

Reply to
busterb

Both of my 2003 Legacys will play MP3s - one is the 6-disc changer and the other is the bottom end CD player. I would be quite surprised if the 2005 was a step back relative to their older stuff...

Reply to
Napalm

down).... does anyone know if the CD player will play MP3s on CD? I want

to regular audio, that'd be great- many more songs on the disc.

her car to try it out.

You're just flat wrong. Why do you keep denying this? The "C" radio instructions specifically state that it can play MP3's. What's your problem?

Reply to
J Warren

down).... does anyone know if the CD player will play MP3s on CD? I want

to regular audio, that'd be great- many more songs on the disc.

her car to try it out.

Well, whatever this "C" is, my mother doesn't have it... guess I can always let her borrow the iPod! :)

Reply to
ismlv

My 04 obw had the standard cd player and mp3 did not work. A kenwood head unit and some pioneer speakers and now it's a very good sound.

Reply to
busterb

Interesting, as the factory player in my 04 TS plays mp3s ripped with Nero, no problem.

Reply to
Kevin T

Sounds like you probably burned the MP3s as audio cd's, no? In that case they really aren't MP3s anymore.

If you're burning data CDs with mp3 files on them you should be getting

8-10 albums per cd. If you're burning audio format you only get 1-2 albums per disc (74 to 80 Minutes).

Matt

Reply to
MattB

Probably the esiest thing to do is burn a disc withg a couple mp3's and try it. If it works fine if not oh well another victim of integrated stereos

down).... does anyone know if the CD player will play MP3s on CD? I want

MP3s to regular audio, that'd be great- many more songs on the disc.

to her car to try it out.

let her borrow the iPod! :)

Reply to
busterb

Well... Good luck on that too! THey neglected the accesorry inputs on the back! So, I have found finally, a good FM modulator that is hard wired for the Sirius and XM radio gizmo but, it works for the ipod too!

S.

Reply to
spratt