raised suspension - name confusion

I put in for a quote for an OB Sport on subaru.com. They sent me back a listing for a "2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon" with the features I requested. Are they just sticking the "Impreza" label in there just because the Outback is based on the Impreza, or are they quoting the wrong thing? Should I expect it to have raised suspension? I want to have my facts straight before I go see the dealer.

Reply to
mwerger

The Outback is based on the Legacy platform, the Outback Sport is based on the Impreza platform.

I don't know if the Outback Sport has the raised suspension or not.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks. I did a little more digging and learned that the Outback Sport only has

Reply to
mwerger

It's 164 mm vs 155 mm on RS and WRX and 144 mm on STI. If you need to lower it the STI bones would fit though it's probably simpler to start with a regular Impreza RS (2.5i now?) than bastardize an OBS.

Aside from the suspension there are other small niceties: cargo area outlet. The limited package includes a 6.1 speaker system and a 6 cd changer. Probably not as good as aftermarket but not bad enough for me not to mess with the audio. Maybe I'll eventually rip the doors apart for a Second Skin/rammMAT treatment but probably not anytime soon. Nothing aside from the cruise control lever rattles. SPL is low, but since I don't crank stereo up high anyway it's okay: you just get sound that is a bit bland. Besides, what do you expect from an economy car? It takes a LOT of time to apply sound deadening materials. Especially if you want a multistage setup. So no wonder it's not done at the factory. Plus, it adds a lot of weight a lot of people won't want. I think racer types rip all the sound deadening out anyway and it'd be infuriating for them to do that if every nook and cranny is treated. Anyhow, this is perfectly fixable by an end user (me :-)

It's just a regular base impreza with all its quirks. My only major complaints are the shifter action on 5sp and the absence of a mechanical lock on the rear gate. Steering is a tad bit heavy without of benefit of precision that should've gone with it. But, still, it's probably still ahead of OBW. Plus it sits about 2" lower than OBW so there is a benefit there. But it's not as low as to scrape bits while going over the fortifications that the civil engineers sprinkled around parking lots. Rain gutters, etc. I heard an EVO scraping underbody parts while exiting a parking lot the other day and that put a bit of a damper on my desire to get one :-)

There's certainly no shoftage of ground clearances to choose from in the Fuji lineup :-)

Let me know if a post too much :)

Reply to
Body Roll

Ground clearance, suspension, two things that have made my life nicer after I bought my Legacy Outback. I also have a Volvo 850 T5-R wagon, VERY fast, and VERY low. I scrape going in and out of my driveway, and I have to be careful on bad roads. The Outback is another story, not only does it clear everything, but the suspension is so nice, you never have to slow down, I can fly down dirt washboard roads at 60mph, while passengers are sipping hot coffee, speed bumps, bad roads, gutters? Never touch the brakes, the wonderfull suspension soaks it all up in pure comfort. I love this car. Now I have a 240hp Swedish Rocketship sitting in the driveway that hasn't been driven in about a month. Go figure... hmmmm maybe I should sell them both and get a WRX? now THERES an idea....

Jerry

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Much is touted about subaru's performance in mountain country snow, but like you, I've been more impressed with the ride and handling on gravel and dirt roads. I've spent plenty of time in my youth, both as a kid in the back of a jeep and as a GI driving an army truck to know what an utter pleasure it is to drive on an old forest service road at a reasonable speed and be comfortable.

Reply to
Jim Stewart