Rattling sound when accelerating on 2007 Forester

Hi. I recently moved to Vienna, VA. I recently getting a rattling, clicking sound when I accelerate on my 2007 Forestor coming from the engine from a stop postion. Any other subaru forester owner experience a similar noise? If so, what is causing this rattling/clicking sound as I accelerate from stop position. Thanks. I'm going to the local dealership since my car is under warranty, but just curious what's causing it beforehand.

Reply to
reversemidas

hard to say - could be a bad knock sensor/ECU allowing too much spark advance? Could just be something loose, bad timing belt tensioner, piston slap, stuck lifter......

I wouldn't delay having it examined.

let us know

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Need more information: Does the clicking keep time with the engine? does it go away after full warm up? Is the noise load when the engine is cold? Help us help you.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I notice the clicking/rattling sound when the engine accelerates, even when warmed up. Especially when I stop at a stop sign, and then accelerate I hear this clicking/rattling inaddition to the normal engine hums as it accelerates. Sound sort of like if you had something lose rattling along, even when warmed up or cold engine. I notice it only when stop and go. I don't hear it when I'm going along the highway steady, but that could be due to highway road noise masking it. Not really loud at all, but noticeable now, just a weird rattling/clicking like something loose rattling along when I accelerate. Even when engine is cold or warm, I hear the rattling at stop and go acceleration.

Reply to
reversemidas

Thanks Carl.

Will let the group know what it turns out to be at the local dealership.

Reply to
reversemidas

Check the front license plate to see if it is bolted down good. If it is only bolted on one side with two bolts and the other side is floating, this can make a real noise, just as you describe. I thought mine had something lose in the exhaust system for a long time before I discovered this.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Interesting...I came across this board in a google search to check out this exact problem with my 2001 Subaru Forester. I also hear a rattling noise when I accelerate from a slow/stop position. It isn?t a really loud noise, just noticeable. I don?t hear a clicking noise however.

I seem to recall that this problem started after and oil change at a local valvoline in/out place....have you had your car in for an oil change?

Just wondering....

Reply to
broadbill

..so I?ve been reading around about this rattle noice....seems like alot of Subaru owners report rattling heat shields. It is caused by the heat shield either becoming loose and rattling against the exhaust or rocks/debris getting between the shield and the exhaust.

Cures include clamping the heat shields down or taking them off.

Does this sound like the right track?

Reply to
broadbill

Reply to
ChEvRoLeT

Hi Broadbill,

Yes, its a rattling sound just like you describe. I used the word "clicking" as another way to describe it. Yes it isn't loud but noticeable.

I did have a oil change early last month.

Beats me cause I'm no mechanic but am scheduled to bring my subaru into the local dealership tomorrow for them to look into it. This is my second subaru forester. I just love this car, and this noise is something I never had before when I had a 2001 Forester.

reversemidas

That is what I've had done, but that was a three or so years after getting my car. I was hesitant to suggest that as a problem for 2007 model.

Reply to
Dan Langille

Back from the dealership this morning.

Auto technician drove it, couldn't hear the noise. I drove it with the technican, and with egg on my face, I couldn't hear it either, and I drove it several times around their lot, stop and go, accelerate now and then with the technician. Beats me. I really felt stupid, but couldn't get the rattling sound either. They did note that I had dripping oil from the oil filter, so I had them do a complete oil change since I was there anyway. Drove home without the rattling noise in the car.

All the folks at the dealership were nice, maybe they thought I was nuts about the rattling noise.

But thanks everyone for helping out. Much appreciated.

Reply to
reversemidas

Trust me, you aren't the first to have those results (speaking in general, not about your rattles).

I've often sent radio circuit boards back to Motorola for repair under warranty that I *know* had problems, right down to the bad part. They'd come back as "No Defect Found", and sure as hell, they worked just fine. I finally decided that FedEx was fixing them somewhere in South Dakota.

Reply to
nobody >

I had the noise on my 03 Forester and it turn out to be the heat shield. The noise will go away when the engine gets warmer though.

The other possible thing is that the plastic cover below the oil drain hole is fasten by those plastic clips. It happens to me once that, after oil change, one or two of the clips fell off and air gets into the opening causing noise.

Reply to
Anonymous