Re: 2003 Outback, 6 cyl, AT Oil Temp light flashing

Has this problem recurred?

With 2400 miles on car purchased in June, after 20 minutes at highway > speed, car "bucks" - shifts randomly in/out of gear, tech bounces between 2 > & 4. AT oil temp light flashes. "Fix" - tighten pins to harness, light > stops flashing. 200 miles later, same conditions, "bucking" for several > miles, no light comes on. Service cannot replicate, no error code. Next > day, same conditions, bucking with flashing AT oil temp light. "Fix" - new > harness, believes "must be" short in sensor. Have not had chance to test; > doubt it's "fixed" since bucking occurred without light. Any thoughts? > >
Reply to
John A. Mason

I had the same symptom after the dealer serviced the transmission (AT) recall several months ago on my 2002 WRX. Drove it right back and they found that there was a ground connection to the AT that they forgot to reconnect. It has been A-OK ever since, more than six months ago.

Reply to
Bob Snyder

Sorry for the delay. Car in NH (where family is located); we live in WA. We posted this message after 3rd "repair," when we were back in WA. Only got back to NH Tuesday, 9/9/03, to drive the car again. After about 150 miles, problem has not (yet) recurred.

The Portsmouth, NH, dealer's position amounts to "the light is on because the light is on," and since the on-board computer shows only that the light is on (and no other problem), by definition, there can be no other problem and he won't make any attempt to troubleshoot it. The dealer's behavior appears to be driven by the NH lemon law - three strikes and you take the car back and provide a full refund. He is desparate to avoid three attempts at repair, even to the point that he denies the second occurrence, claiming that he didn't even try to fix the problem and, therefore, the second occurrence didn't really happen under the lemon law (i.e., because he didn't do anything, it wasn't a "failed" repair). Quite amazing. And, national Subaru organization (in New Jersey somewhere) is even worse. None of this explains the bucking, engine racing, and so forth. Repair technician, not dealer officially, suggests the light CAUSES the bucking and engine behavior, even though the light sometimes precedes the bucking and, at other times, the bucking precedes the light. Our plan is to drive it and see what happens. And, never, ever, to buy another Subaru.

2K & 4K rpm. AT oil temp light flashes. "Fix" - tighten pins to harness, light stops flashing. 200 miles later, same conditions, "bucking" for several miles, no light comes on. Service cannot replicate, no error code. Next day, same conditions, bucking with flashing AT oil temp light. "Fix" - new harness, dealer believes "must be" short in sensor. Have not had chance to test; doubt it's "fixed" since bucking occurred without light. Any thoughts?
Reply to
RudyWA

Reply to
Edward Hayes

You don't have a right to call this person 'childish'... I would be pissed at Subaru and the dealer. I love my Subarus, but if I ever got a taste of this kind of unprofessional behavior from either a dealer or SOA, they would be kissing my business goodbye. There are too many good options out there to put up with this kind of treatment. No one loves Subaru more than me... ... but they would be history if I ever had this kind of problem.

Reply to
John A. Mason

I respect your opinion John but. I still think it's childish to act that way because of one "flaming sphincter"

Reply to
Edward Hayes

We do have the documentation, as EH notes. However, our approach so far has been to try and get the problem identified and fixed, rather than get into a lemon law/legal exercise. Since the car is under warranty, the selling dealer says he can't troubleshoot it without the approval of the national organization (SOA) unless a code shows up in the computer (it doesn't) - he's making SOA out as the bad guy. SOA says that if there's no code, there can't be anything wrong with the vehicle and, therefore, the dealer is not authorized to do anything ("We can't just throw parts at it," is what the SOA lady said) - she's making the dealer out as incompetent to troubleshoot a problem that doesn't produce a code in the computer, and SOA will not respond to letters or emails. The New England regional organization says, in effect, "I don't have a dog in this fight."

As the vehicle has less than 3000 miles on it and is less than 4 months old, the likely, unfortunate outcome is that the lemon law will take over, Subaru will eat a $30K vehicle, we'll get our money back, and then we'll buy a Honda or Toyota, neither of which offer a vehicle as attractive as we thought the Outback was. Neither we nor the dealer wanted this outcome, but that is the direction in which SOA is pushing things.

Whether not buying another Subaru is childish or not is a matter of opinion, I guess. It is perfectly clear at this point that Subaru of America is not someone with whom I want to have a long term relationship.

Thanks for listening, and I'll let you know what happens next.

Rudy

You don't have a right to call this person 'childish'... I would be pissed at Subaru and the dealer. I love my Subarus, but if I ever got a taste of this kind of unprofessional behavior from either a dealer or SOA, they would be kissing my business goodbye. There are too many good options out there to put up with this kind of treatment. No one loves Subaru more than me... ... but they would be history if I ever had this kind of problem.

Reply to
RudyWA

I never accept the situation(excuse) where one group(dealer) says another group(SOA) and visa versa are to blame. In the real business world it is called SHARED responsibility. They are both responsible for giving you a functional vehicle. I apologize for calling you childish but it reminded me of my 10 year old when he didn't like my decision he would get even by not talking to me. Something akin to I'll hurt myself to show you. If you really like the vehicle then continue to work toward a solution in a polite but firm way. I hope it works out and keep us informed. eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I still don't see the connection between the original poster expressing rightful indignation at crappy treatment and childish behavior. If RudyWA decides not to buy another Subaru, then it's not his/her loss, it's Subaru's. I suppose we'll agree to disagree. John

Reply to
John A. Mason