Re: 95 Legacy (Maintenance at 120K miles)

Tony

Well, at 120K miles, I just had the following work done:

-Struts, Rear

-Starter

-Timing Belt

-Timing Belt Covers

-Water Pump

-All other belts/hoses

-Front Brakes

-Crank Seal

-Cam Seals

-Thermostat

-Radiator Flush

Now, my Subbie is running like a brand new car. With the above preventitive maint (the only "bad" parts were the starter and the crankseal), I feel that I have just given my Legacy new life, and, she should do well for another

60K to 75K miles, if not longer.

Thanks for all your help. John

Tony > > Did you do anything about your rusty rear hatch handle?? Mine still works, > but, is badly rusted. As I said, I have absolutely no rust on the > underside....and, I'm in Norfolk VA now....so, maybe the change of weather > will prevent further rust. > > Do you think replacing the rear struts would be something me and my buddies > could change out?? > > John > > > > > > > > > > I was snooping around underneath the car, and, the oil pan appears to be > > in > > > good shape. > > > > > > In fact, even though I spent 2 years in Maine with my Legacy, I have > very > > > little rust underneath. I have rust issues with the rear hatch, and the > > > handle and support arms....those are rusted bad. > > > > > > After talking with Chris and John....and cleaning the underside of all > the > > > oil.....it defenitely appears to be the crank seal. > > > > > > How many miles do you have on your Legacy?? Also, any issues with your > > > starter?? My solenoid is bad (takes a few clicks of the key to get her > to > > > turn over)....so, I have to replace the whole starter. > > > > > > John > > > > I don't know why but I've never seen a Subaru that wasn't rusted out in > the > > rear hatch handle. My car has been in Maine for at least the last three > > years, and has very little, if any, body rust. It has just over 137,000 > > miles and still runs like new. I've done nothing (till now) to it besides > > tires and oil. My cam seals were gone too, so they replaced those at the > > same time as the oil pan, did the timing belt while they were in there > too. > > I figure I've got a good two or three years before the rust becomes a > > problem, and I expect the engine will far outlive the body, as it has on > my > > two previous Subies. > > Tonyrama > > '95 Outback > > > > > > > >
Reply to
SKCS, USN

will you post the price you paid... My 95 is having the timing belt, seals, water pump (it's out) and other related hoses/belts done on Monday - I ordered the parts o the web and have a local mechanic doing the work for $250 US dollars.

preventitive

Reply to
David Shepard

I'm not the person you're talking too, but I can say it's a good price. My mechanic quoted about $700 for everything. I bought the parts mail order for about $350 so his labor would have been about $350.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

My labor charges are a little low, because I'm in the Navy, and used the Navy Exchange. For the starter/crankseal/cam seals and all belts was $238/labor.

John

Reply to
SKCS, USN