Re: Consumer Reports kudos for Subaru

What is CR's problem with the gated transmission? That was a selling point, when I bought my 2004 Forester XT, and I in practice, it is one of the better features of the car.

If anything, the stupid automatic climate control is the Forester's greatest weakness. (To be fair, it does a stellar job when I have defrosting problems, but is horrid when it comes to heating.)

Niels

Reply to
graphitenospampaddle

For the life of me, I don't understand the "gated shifter" complaint either.

You're right, the automatic climate control is the main (only?) wart on this car. I didn't realize heating was a problem. Fortunately, here in SoCal, that's not an issue; very rarely (and even then, very briefly) do I have the system pumping out heat.

HW

Reply to
Hal Whelply

I have griped about this before. The temperature control is set in fine enough increments. I have to alternate between turning off the heat completely, and the first notch on the dial. Even when the temperature is in the mid-teens, I have to turn the heat off for a few minutes at a time, otherwise I would bake.

But like you & others have mentioned, the Forester is an exceptional car. It has out-manuavered sports cars on the PA Turnpike, and gives me the power to get out of trouble. Recently, I gravel truck ran me off of an interstate, onto a snow-covered grassy medium. The Forester not only didn't loose control, but allowed me to get back on the highway without incident. AND it makes a great kayak carrier!

Niels

Reply to
graphitenospampaddle

I have a solution to the heat problem that probably no one else would agree with, but I'll throw it out anyhow.

I don't care how cold it is, but once the heat kicks on I lower the driver's side window an inch or two. That way I get to breath cool/cold air and yet my body stays comfortable. I don't remember when I started doing it, but it has probably been my practice since the 80's.

Reply to
kstahl

Heat on full directed out the floor vents, windows partly open, is a great way to enjoy a ride in the country on a nippy day.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Heat on full blast in the floor wells, and sunroof open is my preferred approach, barring ice and snow on the roof.

Reply to
KLS

A duh! Why didn't I think about that? But wouldn't the passenger-side or a back window be better? (No, or minimal draft, especially at highway speeds.)

Reply to
graphitenospampaddle