Re: Diesel Subaru at 200 hp - New version

FWIW, Volkswagen rates the car for 600 miles per tank @ 40 MPG.

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

In that case his dashboard mpg display is off by more than 15. I'll try to get a couple details from him.

-John O

Reply to
John O

We usually get well in excess of 50mpg day-to-day from our VW Touran (UK model). On a recent long trip we got an average of 46mpg @ 70mph+, fully laden with a large roof box on. Shame my Forester doesn't do this well.

Reply to
Stewart

Diesel fuel, in general, is simpler to refine from petroleum compared to gasoline. Higher prices can be attributed to higher taxes imposed on diesel fuel. Even if diesel fuel undergo additional filtration to remove the pollutants, the cost to manufacture is lower. Well taxes and demand for heating oil, especially in winter months, contribute to higher price of diesel. This is for diesel fuel derived from petroleum, bio diesel or diesel fuel derived from vegetable or animal oil is a very different story. Rudolph diesel originally designed his engine using vegetable oil, if IIRC he used peanut oil.

Reply to
EdV