Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

The unfortunate part is the average person has no idea that the reason our

> manufacturing jobs are leaving the county is because of US consumer greed > and that THEY are ONE of the greedy consumers sending their own jobs off > shore LOL > > > mike hunt

Not quite, IMHO. It isn't consumer greed, but CORPORATE greed that is doing it. Outsourcing is the buzzword right now. Dump your employees, avoid the frustration, have slave labor in Asia make the product, anb then sell the crap in the USA..

Why do you think the middle class has all but disappeared. There are now

37,000,000 living below the defined poverty level.

People buy at WalMart because that is the cheapest place in town (to the eye of the public) and most people have to count their pennies.

This concept has been lauded by Republicans as free trade, and free trade equals 'democracy', doncha know?

The Democrats are too disordered to laud anything.

Reply to
<HLS

..... and who are corporations made up of? People! That includes stockholders

I find it interesting that you say people buy at Wal-Mart because the need to save money but when talking about Corporations you don't acknowledge that they need to save money too -- to be competitive or go out of business. So, why is it OK for consumers to be concerned about their bottom line but it's not OK for corporations (and the PEOPLE that run them and the PEOPLE that own stock in them) to also worry about saving money? Corporate officers have a responsibility to their shareholders to stay competitive. I don't disagree that they've not been successful all the time but you are ignoring the need for corporate competitiveness and fiscal responsibility (i.e., the bottom line) while complaining about the need for similar traits in 'people'.

Fairly wide, sweeping generalizations don't you think?

Reply to
Lee Florack

You may not be aware of the fact that most all foreign car companies (including Honda and Toyota) assembly thousands of vehicles in America. I believe that all car companies (including GM and Ford) have many of the car parts made in foreign countries. They do this since they would have to pay American workers twice as much to make those same products. They assembly cars in America so they won't have to pay to ship the cars to America or pay import fees. Jason

Reply to
Jason

you got it - the big corps are the modern day feudal warlords loyal only to themselves, they epitomize the word TRAITOR

and anyone who deals in or with their stock is a traitor too...

dump it

only buy shares and products from companies that are not traitorous ingrates that have grown fat on the labor of citizens only to screw them blind when they see the fat profits available from slave labor overseas

pretty soon *you* will be a slave too, if you let them keep going

ps: do you think the majority of baby boomers are going to get retirement bennys?

not a hope - it is cheaper for corps to run overseas and not pay a penny

Reply to
BlagooBlanaa