Re: Royal Purple or Mobil1 Synthetic

I read quite a few postings both pro and con. The general drift is that the problem is caused by the high amounts of lead present in avaition fuel: Mobil 1 didn't hold the deposits in suspension and the resulting sludge caused damage. We don't have to worry about lead in our cars.....

Research the small aircraft groups or the FAA for Mobil 1 comments...you >will not like what you find. TG
Reply to
null_pointer

Good oil is good oil no question here, and Royal Purple is great, or so I've heard, while Mobil 1 is great too it also has a very fine company standing behind it!

But oil gets dirty quickly and regular oil filters are without exception inferior- due to high oil flow requirements.

By design, proper automotive engine lubrication depends much on frequent oil changes, that is, dumping oil together with impurities that cannot be filtered out.

I bet one could get far more miles out of a regular engine by changing regular mineral oil, say every

1000 miles, than by using fancy synthetic oils and keeping it in the crankcase for thousands upon thousands of miles.

I am ignoring turbo longevity considerations here.

s.z.

Reply to
UserEddie214

In addition, these tests are done by independent labs, so should be believable.

A local performance garage has a customer that used Amsoil in a Camry, starting at 20,000 km, and needed to have the head removed at 260,000 km for valve seal replacement. The garage owner said you could still see the cross hatch marks from the manufacturing process on the cylinder walls!! Good proof of the low friction! They leave the oil in for 20,000 km, but change the filter every 5,000 km, with an Amsoil filter, which filters more finely than a standard oil filter.

Ed

Reply to
ed
200,000km is a good but, not a great test of an oil. My nephew drives a Saab
Reply to
Edward Hayes