Re: Short Throw Shifter install

How easy is it to install this if I buy it from eBay for example?

The Subaru shifter is a pretty simple bolt-on. You do need to crawl under the car to access a couple fasteners, but that's about it. Probably about a 30-45 minute job with basic hand tools; a 10mm and

12mm wrench and socket, flat and phillips screwdriver, floor jack and jackstands. Others may vary, some I know are _just_ the shift lever, some have different bushings as well. The Subaru shifter is the complete assembly. Tell us what kind you are considering, and maybe someone can give you specifics. You might also try clubWRX.net or i-club for nfo. Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S.

Is the short-shifter worth the effort to install one...? Does it really make a big difference...?

Reply to
Jack

Reply to
Patrick F. Clarin

big difference...?

Probably about 30% less shifter travel with the Subaru (STI?) component. Shifts are quicker, and somewhat more positive. I would also recommend a change to Redline gear lube, as that really smooths out the gear box, makes the shift far less vague and "notchy", and even helps the reluctant downshift to first a bit. In fact, I'd have to say that the Redline lube was about the best $40 I've spent on the car, and it is undoubtedly worth the effort even if you keep the stock shifter.

Oh, and Patrick asks:

Well, I know CartBoys makes one, and I think there are at least a couple more out there. The CartBoys part seems to be a fairly popular choice, but I've never tried one out; I got the dealer to toss in the Subaru shifter when I bought my WRX. Again, check on clubWRX for plenty of discussion on the pros and cons.

ByeBye! S.

S, sorry I'm not the most knowledgeable at car maintanence but is it pretty easy to changing the gear lube?

make a big difference...?

Reply to
Patrick F. Clarin

I have the Subaru short throw and just put in a new bushing, the shifter really clicks into gear now. Short throw shifters like the Kartboy, that just replace the lever are basically just a shorter lever (there is a little geometry going on below the pivot also). Cobb Tuning makes one that is double adjustable, you can change the length above and below the pivot. Fill the transmission with Redline synthetic lube while your at it. My 20k mile WRX had used up the old lube, big time.

Jerry and Bea

Just like changing the oil on a WRX, I'm not sure if other Subies have a dipstick for the transmission, though. You fill it with a funnel with a long, flexible neck through the dipstick tube. Most other cars you fill it through a plug on the side of the transmission case and you might need some kind of pump to get the oil from the bottle into the trannie.

Reply to
Jerry and Bea