Re: Synthetic Oil

I buy my Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart. 5 quart container for $21.89 or about $4.37 per quart. I do a 5-6,000 mile OCI so the cost per dollar is not too bad considering what I feel is a very good safety margin over the

> was >> empty my wallet

a little faster

> I second that. At $3/qt Mobil 1 used to be a bargain but at

$6/qt it

hardly is now. >

Edward i read once on a moterweek site a nascar crew testing a thin viscosity "mobil1 racing oil" in one of there cars to an rpm of 10,000 for 2 + houres torture test. unbilevably engine ran with-out a flaw and made more horespower in the proces. after the 2 houre test the entire engine was dismantled peice by peice & to there surprise. the following was found no significant wear on pistons rings, pistons, & rod bearings, it was unbelievable. mobil1 racing oil is amazing technology when i find the article i will post it here.

Reply to
johnin

Thanks Johnin: I have used Mobil 1 5&10w30 in my last 3 vehicles (jeep

4.0, Laser turbo and now my Subaru) with out any oil related issues. My present Subaru has 105,000+ miles on Mobil 1. I remember when Mobil syn first came out and they had run an Oldsmobile V8 engine to
Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi, Ed

I don't remember that particular test, but do remember reading there was one particular Olds engine that was used by a lot of oil companies for testing "back then" because it was particularly problematic WRT oil issues and the testers figured "if it will work for this engine, it will work for all of 'em." That test speaks well for Mobil 1 in its original configuration--I understand there have been changes in the "recipe" that actually make it better today? Wish somebody could "raid the vaults" and get actual test data from the oil and auto mfrs for us to view!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

experiment w/ Mobil 1 on my Subie once, and all it did

viscosity "mobil1 racing oil" in one of there cars to an rpm of 10,000 for

2 + houres torture test. unbilevably engine ran with-out a flaw and made more horespower in the proces. after the 2 houre test the entire engine was dismantled peice by peice & to there surprise. the following was found no significant wear on pistons rings, pistons, & rod bearings, it was unbelievable. mobil1 racing oil is amazing technology when i find the article i will post it here.

What so "amazing" about it if that engine had redline above 10k rpm? What does this prove? Did they do the same test with dyno oil? How does that translate into Mobil 1 being useful for an average Joe?

The shitty 5sp in my tranny would allow me to keep rpms above 3.5k for any meaningful amount of time so why should I care?

I suggest you do the following experiment: pour dyno oil into your engine, find a straight highway that goes for 300-350 miles and gun the car in 5th gear as fast as the drag would allow. I guarantee you that the engine would not fall apart. Not after 2, not after 3 hours of use. Speaking from experience. You will be 1-1.5k away from the redline most likely (due to the retarded gearing: 5th is not low enough in cars peddled to Joe Schmoe like myself to let you be redline limited).

As for the 10k rpm run you're referring to. The redline, in my understanding, is determined primarily by the amount of rotating mass. The more mass there is to rotate the lower redline is (I feel like an idiot being among the people who've been whining about low torque in 2.0turbo in the first gen US WRX). The redline is NOT determined by what oil you run in the engine. The oil is there just to cool the metal and to reduce the LONG TERM wear and tear.

If the engine they were testing has redline at 11k rpm what harm there is running it at 10k rpm for hours? As long as it is properly lubricated.

I'm not saying that Mobil 1 is not good. I'm just saying that for the price I'd get something else considering that I don't like going to WalMart for anything. You know how long the lines are at the local WalMart? It's worse than Cosco. Though Cosco is probably also worse these days. So I'll buy cheap stuff where lines are short. An autoparts store.

And Mobil 1 is $6/qt there. Way more than I'm willing to pay on a regular basis.

Reply to
Body Roll