Re: Timing belt replacement requirements 90 2.2l Legacy

It does appear Yousef is right according to a discussion about this issue at the USMB (ultimate subaru messages board) archive forum; They claim ALL 2.2l engines (EJ22) turbo or NA are noninterferential. try;

Unless some other event stripped the teeth (broken valve stem, trhown rod) you should only need the items normally associated with changing a timing belt WHICH, if you're smart, will include EVERYTHING that turns by or against the belt (besides the crank and cam pullys). water pumps, idlerbearings, tensioner bearings etc. Not sure if this engine is prone to leaking seals but you might consider that as well.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Martigan wrote:

Hello, > > I found out the reason why my 1990 Legacy doesn't start; the timimg belt > is dry rotted and the "teeth" are gone. Any how this Vehicle has 163K > miles and I am the fourth owner. The mechanic that showed me this too did > something strange, he manualy turn the cam ( I guess that's the right > name) and said "see the other two aren't moving." And of course now says > that I have to replace the valves and a bunch of other stuff. Sorry for > my ignorance but shouldn't I just have to replace the belts and make sure > the notches match up? >
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thank you very much for the info, and the link.

Reply to
Martigan