Re: Tire pressure question

The posted 44 psi is what the "tire manufacture posted" on there as a maximum air inflation that tire can take under a load. don"t go buy it! "instead go buy the sticker on the door pillar that the vehicle manufacture recommends. and yes your hunch was right after all ;)

Reply to
johnin

When your garage is installing a tire on a rim they sometimes use extra pressure to seat the tire's safety bead into the rim. This marking lets them know how far they can go before blowing their head off.

maximum air inflation that tire can take under a load.

Reply to
John Murfet

Hi,

First time I've ever heard that theory! Most tires I've watched being mounted today will "pop" over the humps in the rim and seat at 30-35 psi. Back in the days we had only bias tires, we used a band around the tread to compress the tire a bit to hold it until it seated. Even then I don't recall having to exceed around 35 psi.

That pressure rating is "max cold operating" pressure for that tire, NOT the vehicle it's installed on. It assumes different vehicles will have different inflation requirements due to weight, etc., and also allows for normal heat related pressure increases.

The mfr's recommendation is taken as gospel by some, but for my own purposes, I use it as a "minimum" operating pressure that's gonna be safe, and ride comfortably. As so many others report, I generally get better handling, gas mileage and tread wear by increasing the pressure

2-3 psi over the door sticker.

But air pressure questions will unleash the opinions almost as fast as "what oil should I use and how often should I change it?" threads, so YMMV and all that!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I just left a tire shop after 4.5 years. Some tires seat at 30 psi. Most seat at 40 or so a few take every thing you can get into them. (35 and 40 series tires)

Reply to
Stephen H