Re: Tires for 01 Outback Wagon

I need to replace my 2001 4 cyl Outback Wagon Tires again. The original

> Firestones were poor. My 1st replacements, Dunlop A2's improved driving > performance but only lasted ~ 22K miles just like the Firestones. Based on > Tire Rack browsing I'm considering the Yokohama Avid Touring tires which > seem excellent from a value/performance standpoint other than some > complaints about high speed wobbling. I'm looking for a tire that will last > longer than 22K miles and still perform well in the Northeast (snow). Any > comments or recommendations would be appreciated. > >
Reply to
Edward Hayes

My original X series Michelin tires on a 98 Outback lasted 60K. Replaced with Avid's which lasted 35K. Now have Michelin Symmetry at twice the Avid price and only expecting 45 to 50K.

Reply to
Greg

I put Avids on my '98OBW this spring for summer tires. They are really bad in the snow, had 'em on my GTI before I got the sube. Avids are really good summer tires, good value, but I'm planning on snow tires come winter.

ct

Have a set of these, defenitely not great in winter, but good in summer. The wide rubber ring in the middle does tend to follow tar repair strips or cracks in the road, but this is a minor problem. One tire developed a bump on the tread at 50,000 km (30,000 mi) and was replace under warranty, but then got me into the "same circumference on all 4 wheels" debate, ended up replacing the opposite tire as well, and inflating the 2 new tires slightly less (-1 lb) and the older ones slightly more (+1 lb) to get them to about the same diameter when rolling. At 50,000 km, the 2 original tires have about 40% tread left, so about 80,000 km life span (48,000 mi). Ed

Reply to
ed