Re: Using Synthetic Oil <= From a Factory Tech Rep<= My final 2 cents worth

wrote; Interesting....Ive used regular (non-synthetic) on a 1993 Impreza and now have over 300,000 miles on it. Absolutely NO engine work has been done. What say you now Red?

Good for you, Paul! I also say Subaru is an excellent value. I own several.

NEVER listen to a word written by anyone who posts anonymously!

Good One, "Anonymous"! Actually, the world of reps is small, I don't want to offend anyone and therefore do not use my real name here.

I see a lot of good information, tho hardly new, but accurate and verifiable. I don't see a brand name so I don't see an angle either. Why so cynical?

No angle, no axe to grind, I just like to give people the opportunity to get the info that might make their life a little better or at least better informed. The "Cynical" comes from working in the auto business and knowing what goes on in the minds of the average dealership owners and salespeople. Also comes from the factories who balance safety against sales/marketing and expected law suites lost $ vs. safety failures in manufacturing costs.

"This is in spite of the fact that changing dyno oils at 3K is a good idea .."

You may not be ready for this question, but how do you know that 3K is a good idea? Would 1K be better? Is it possible that a marketing compromise was created many years ago as a guide for the public when cars took a lot, lot longer to get to 3K than they do today? Cars averaged 10 to 12K a year back then when the 3K "standard" was set.

BMW also gives free maintenance , right? It's only natural they raise the service intervals so they only have to perform services at the recommended intervalso they onlt have to give 2 free changes..

I think you may have missed the idea behind the "free" services.

I'll stick with changing my syn oil every 5-6000 miles. Not too expensive and I know the engine is protected well.

Not to be annoying, but "how" do you know that? I think you mean that you will "feel" protected. But that is as good a reason as any. I still throw salt over my shoulder if I spill it.

Reply to
<RedCrow