Re: Why did I buy a used Subaru?

From: snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com

>When you buy a used car you buy someone else's troubles. Buy new next >time. A new kia is better than USED MERCEDES

I don't think I would agree with you there bigjim. You can get parts for a used Mercedes! Plus, you can find mechanics who take pride in working on Mercedes. Let me know if you find one who brags about working on Kias!

JCF wrote: > Someone please tell me. >> ....... said the head gasket was blown and there was >> piston damage. They towed and repaired at no charge. Good. >> >> Four weeks later, ....... the crank had jumped three teeth and >> ......... would have been consistent with an inappropriately-performed >> gasket replacement. At this point, the car is out of the 30-day, >> 1000 mile dealer service period (even > with the car being in the shop >> for a week with the gasket issue; also I have 1050 miles on total. >> But I call the dealer, they tow it and instead feel >> that the problem was caused by a tensioning wheel. No evidence of engine >> damage, they say. They offer to split the repair cost, which I think is >> fair, and offer to drive it a bit.

If the tensioning wheel was bad or incorrectly tensioned, then it should have been noticed when the head gasket was replaced. You should not have had to share the cost of the repair, IMO.

Also, did you split the cost of the "retail" repair cost or the "dealer's" cost? If you paid half of the "retail" cost of the repair, it is possible you paid the entire cost of the repair. An old favorite trick of the less reputable dealers.

Three days later, the repair is done. Then I get a call with, "Oh by the > way, the clutch is slipping and you're going to need to replace that."

If you are a good "stick" driver, then it should not start slipping so badly in 1000 miles that the dealer would note that you have to replace it. A clutch usually starts slipping over a longer period of time in most cases, and I think should have been noted when the car was inspected if it was that bad. Of course, I don't know if you drive a clutch properly, just a comment from an old factory rep who has seen it all.

> Now, I don't expect a higher mileage used car to run like a new one. I > anticipate having repairs to a used car. Brakes will go, clutches, pumps > and all that. But I find it amazing that I have now had two significant > engine repairs, and the clutch is on the way out, within six weeks of > purchase. The dealer clearly stated that the car had been looked over > carefully before I purchased it, and, of course, touted the service > department. Am I unreasonable to think that some of these issues should > have been obvious if they did indeed look over the car carefully? Should > any of this, or could any of these potential issues have been disclosed > prior to purchase? > > I am one unhappy Subaru owner who now walks to work every day. Thanks in > advance for your replies.... cars are not my specialty.

In the dealer's defense, I have to state that not noticing the clutch could have been an honest mistake on their part. However, once detected, within about 1000 miles, I feel it is their responsibility to fix it at no charge. (Assuming you are a good stick driver!). They shouldn't quibble about 50 extra miles!

I am also curious about whether they did any testing on the engine and cooling system since unless the engine was abused, or the coolant ran low, most head gaskets don't blow all of a sudden either. Most early symptoms of an impending HG failure are just not noticed by the drivers until it becomes a major failure. However, if a car is really gone over thoroughly, and fully tested, then I would not expect a head gasket to completely fail after such testing within 1000 miles or so.

The bad news is that few used car dealers lot's, even along side new car dealers, really do much to their used cars except the items which are really apparent to a prospective buyer. It is a matter of cost. Whether to spend the money to carefully test every car they sell or just fix the cars that fail? Thorough testing costs a lot of money.

Your choice to buy a Suby as a used car was, IMO, a better than average chance to get a good used car which, on average, is a better deal per dollar than most other brands. However, I do not recall the year and model you bought, it might make a difference, but that is true of all brands.

Check if you have a county or city Consummer Affairs Office? They might be able to help. In my area, they rule the used car dealers and help customers with cases like yours if they feel you got a bum deal.

The Ole Factory Rep (not Subaru)

Reply to
<Rep

Thank you for this response. There is a lot of useful information in here.

Thank you for pointing this out. When I pick up the car this afternoon, this is an issue I intend to discuss with the mechanic. Based on my limited understanding about the inner workings of this engine, so much of the most recent problem (engine misalignment, valve seating, crank shaft walk, and now the tensioning wheel) could have had to do with an improper head gasket installation. My fear is that the dealer has figured out that they bought a car with problems, did not diagnose them and then passed them along to me. They have done a lot of work, lost some money and productivity on the deal and are trying to recoup whatever they can to cover themselves.

Another question to ask. Probably retail.

Not to sound like Rain Man, but I am an excellent stick driver.

This was my thought exactly. It's a 99 Legacy Outback. I did the Consumer Reports research, got the carfax report done, etc. For basic layman's legwork, the standard stuff. I do not have all the service records, and I guess I should have pressed them to come up with them. Honestly, if it was just the tensioning wheel replacement, and I was reasonably confident that everything was running fine, I would just spend the $200 or so and leave it at that. But being told hey get ready for another big repair bill, oops, well, that does not set well with me.

Reply to
JCF

Hi,

In that case, YOU will know if the clutch is slipping! Or are they just jerking your chain, figuring maybe they can hit you for $1500 or so to do a $500-$800 job and recoup some of their other "losses"?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

The head gasket is a common issue with the 2.5L's around the year 2000. I would not buy ANY 2.5L Subaru without getting detailed records of previous service performed and throughly checking for coolant leaks at the head gasket underneath the engine.

Your next problem definitely sounds like they did not properly put the timing belt/hardware back together after doing the head gasket job. It's pretty easy to screw up in there, and I bet that that is what happened... the dealer knows this too, otherwise there would be no way they would agree to pay for part of the repair bill.

The clutch is a wear part, it will wear out eventually no matter how nice you are to it... with 120k miles on the car you have no idea how old the clutch is... chances are it was slipping at the dealer already.

Reply to
Dmitriy