Reading the Forester's Dip Stick

I always have trouble reading the car's dip stick. It's clear that there are three markers: 2 holes and a notch. Nevertheless, after wiping the dip stick with either a cloth or paper towel, I still find it hard to rip. Any tips on this? Food dye in the oil? >-) A special flash light? It always seems like the oil zig zags from somewhere between the two holes upwards. Never seem to find any nice level of oil where it is clean above it.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

Subaru dipsticks are the worst I've seen. I make sure I have my reading glasses on, pull it out, clean it and stick it back in at least twice before I try to read it then I hold it to the light or in the sun and turn it, looking for the glint of the oil Sort of like the old mercury fever thermometers.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hi,

This isn't a perfect way, but has helped w/ some cars I've had that were hard to read, especially when the oil was still pretty clean:

Let the car sit overnight. Pull the dipstick out in the morning and DON'T wipe it. Read it. Then wipe, stick it back in and read again to see if you get a reading that's pretty close. I find the first reading is usually just a tiny bit higher than the second, but not enough to worry about. You'll notice the oil's often a bit darker before the engine's been started, making it easier to see.

Now if someone can tell me why some dipsticks read higher on one side than the other...

Rick C

Reply to
Rick Courtright

About the reading being higher one one side, take the lower reading. The lower reading is correct. When you go to read a dipstick, dip and check a few times to get a constant reading. It may look like the level is all over the place but where there is a dry spot in the middle of surrounding oil, the lower reading is correct. (hard to understand but if you've seen it, you'd understand)

And about Subaru's dipsticks being the hardest to read, don't even bother trying to check the oil on the new infinitis. Pain in the ass...way worse than Subarus.

Reply to
hpydrft

In article , snipped-for-privacy@iname.com says..

I don't have a Forester, but I did check the oil on one at a car show. :-/

The WRX shows higher on one side, and it's due to the dipstick tube curving as it enters the sump.

The manual addresses the issue by instructing you to keep the oil can icon on the plastic handle, with the oil can's base toward the front of the car, as it's fully inserted.

With the WRX, I've found the best way to take a reading is moving the stick slow. Take 3-4 seconds to insert and retract it, and readings become much more consistent. Still gotta wipe in between, tho.

Reply to
CompUser

I have owned a Forester 2.0XT for some 3 years now, and agree with you. I used to check the level after leaving the car overnight, with similar problems. I now always check it when the engine is hot with much more success - I wait for about 15 minutes after stopping the engine before checking the level.

When the oil level is near the lower level notch, I top up with 100ml of oil and when I check the level again it is at the top notch - I don't understand this, because I was told that there is a 1 litre difference between the 2 notches.

Reply to
Pentti

I found that if I remove the stick and wait several minutes and push it in slowly and remove it slowly I have no problems. I think because of the angle, oil is pulled up in the tube and you must wait several minutes to let the oil drain back into the sump. I also think that the stick enters the crankcase at an angle and that is why the level can be different, side to side. Ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes